Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Youth Team: Bristol City 2 Brentford 1

10 October 2015

Jon De Souza's side beaten at SGS Wise

Josh Bohui’s second half goal was not enough to prevent Brentford’s Youth Team falling to their fifth defeat in six games as they were downed 2-1 by Bristol City.

After a first-half with few clear cut chances, Bohui scored his fourth of the season ten minutes into the second half when he slid a shot past Ben Smith that crept over the line after hitting the post.

Four minutes after taking the lead, the Bees were pegged back when James Difford headed in before Harrison Reeves wrapped up the points from close range late on.

Cameron Greaves retained his place in goal, whilst Tyrick Mitchell, Ian Carlo Poveda, Bohui and Julius Fenn-Evans returned to the starting eleven at the expense of George Harmes, Terence Vancouten, Juan Pablo Gonzalez Velasco and Courtney Austin.

Thanks to the cold weather of the previous night, the pitch at SGS Wise was extremely slick, and the start of the game saw Brentford pushing City into their own half and trying to create space for Reece Cole to let fly from range.

But it was the home side who had the first sight of goal, when Joe McNulty created an opening and struck a dipping shot that Greaves saw late, but did well to get fingertips to.

Despite City threatening more as the half continued, the Bees had opportunities to take the lead; Fenn-Evans, playing in a more advanced role than usual, curled at low shot at Smith before Chris Mepham flashed a shot over from Cole’s low corner.

George Kellow had the best chance of the half when he worked his way into the box, clattering the crossbar with a powerful drive, and moments later McNulty failed to get any sort of connection that would have put Joe Selman’s low cross past Greaves.

Early in the second half, Brentford again went close when Cole’s curling free-kick was impressively turned round the post by Smith, before a Danny Parish flick hit the post from a corner.

Jon De Souza’s boys finally took the lead ten minutes into the second half when Bohui – who scored the opening goal in the U21 Premier League Cup win over QPR on Tuesday – intercepted Cole’s lovely through-ball and turned home from inside the area.

The lead was to last for less than five minutes though; substitute Harvey Moss picked up the ball on the halfway line and used his electric pace to bear down on goal and chip over the onrushing Greaves; Difford was on hand to head over the line.

Bristol City continued to threaten, looking for their first win of the season in the Professional Development League Two South, and again went close when James Murton rattled the post after frenetic passing in the box.

But nine minutes from time, Reeves beat the offside trap and sidefooted past substitute keeper Jordan Carey after good work from Difford down the right wing.

Cole saw his third free-kick of the game blocked after Bohui was fouled inches outside the area but the Bees misery was compounded five minutes from time when Ross McMahon was giving his marching orders.

The defender was caught in no-mans land and had no time to react to a counter-attack led by impact subs Moss and Difford. 16-year-old McMahon had little choice but to sacrifice his remaining time on the pitch; he was the last man and was sent off for his tackle on Difford.

Henry Spalding ballooned a shot over in the last minute but Brentford had nothing more to offer and recorded their third loss in the last four away games.

Brentford: Cameron Greaves (Jordan Carey 62), Tyrick Mitchell, Sean Bird, Chris Mepham, Luke Dunn (Ross McMahon 58), Reece Cole, Tony Guppy, Ian Carlo Poveda, Julius Fenn-Evans, Josh Bohui, Danny Parish (Kingsley Eshun 58)
Subs (not used): Juan Pablo Gonzalez Velasco

Bristol City: Ben Smith, Opi Edwards, Charlie Harris, James Murton, Aaron Parsons, Tom Richards (Harvey Moss 52), Joe Selman, Joe McNulty, Ejilah Chilekwa (James Difford 52), George Kellow (Henry Spalding 78), Harrison Reeves
Subs (not used): Owen Barry, Kel Akpobire

Advertisement block