Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report : 07/11/2015

7 November 2015

Brentford picked up a point against Blackburn in heavy rain at Ewood Park on Saturday afternoon.

Lasse Vibe opened the scoring after 24 minutes but Brentford were pegged back before half time when Tom Lawrence’s cross-turned-shot found the net at the far post.

Lee Carsley named an unchanged side for the trip North, with Vibe coming in to replace Alan Judge again and Sam Saunders taking his place on the bench.

Before kick-off, both sets of players took time to acknowledge remembrance weekend with a wreath laying in the centre circle. Each player also wore a poppy on their shirt as a mark of respect.

The early stages were timid from both sides, with neither making anything clear cut. The Bees threatened to get in behind after 10 minutes, as James Tarkowski’s cross-field pass found Alan McCormack on the wing. The 31-year-old cut inside and slid the ball to Vibe but the Danish forward couldn’t get hold of it on the way into the box.

The away side, sporting their special edition all-black kit, were forced into an early change when Marco Djuricin was injured in an aerial challenge after 23 minutes. Konstantin Kerschbaumer came on to push Vibe up top by himself.

Moments later, Brentford had the ball in the net. A neat back-heel from McCormack to John Swift allowed the Chelsea loanee to thread a perfect through ball to Vibe. The Dane turned and struck the ball, which looped in after Jason Steele got a hand to the ball but couldn’t stop it creeping in.

With half an hour gone, Blackburn had their best chance of the half so far. A low cross from the right by Lawrence narrowly evaded Jordan Rhodes on the edge of the six-yard box. Then Ben Marshall found space to strike but it was blocked bravely by Jake Bidwell.

At the other end, Vibe nodded a long clearance down to Swift, who then knocked it wide to Ryan Woods. He brought the ball inside and pulled it back for Vibe but the resulting shot was easily saved.

Rovers equalised soon after. A quick throw-in to Lawrence on the left wing meant he could cut back and put in a drilled cross with his right foot. The ball zipped all the way through the box, behind the Brentford defence, and curled in at the far post.

Lawrence almost added a second before the break, getting away from Bidwell in the box to shoot. David Button got down well to his left to push the bouncing ball against the post and away.

The Bees could have retaken the lead twice as Fourth Official Richard Clark indicated six minutes of added time. Swift was the first to play one back for Woods to strike from distance but he dragged it wide. Then Kerschbaumer slipped a pass through to McCormack, who turned and shot but it was saved by Steele.

After half time, Brentford’s first big chance came from 25 yards out, as Swift struck a free-kick that Steele was able to catch and hold. Blackburn responded with one of their own shortly after as Rhodes diverted a corner inches wide of the post.

Kerschbaumer showed good skill to turn his marker and play Vibe in behind the Blue and White’s back four. Vibe ran the ball further in but his shot was blocked by Shane Duffy at close range.

Both teams continued to move the ball around midfield and possession became the key as time went on. Each side had opportunities to move into the final third but the final balls were continuously lacklustre.

With under 20 minutes to play, Saunders made his return to the first team as a replacement for Swift in the line of attacking midfielders. His pass to Yennaris set things rolling when the fullback then found Kerschbaumer racing through the penalty area. The Austrian had time to pick his spot but his shot was saved by Steele.

Button had to be alert to deny Rhodes when a Tarkowski clearance deflected back off Bidwell. The goalkeeper raced off his line to dive at the forward’s feet and knock the ball away from danger.

Saunders was then tripped by Markus Olsson as he raced away from the defence. The free-kick that followed was caught by Steele as it flashed past the attacking Harlee Dean.

The best chance of the match came in the last few minutes. Marshall cut inside Woods as Blackburn made a lightning counter attack through the driving rain. With a quick look up he smashed the ball goalwards, arms halfway up in celebration as Button dived across to palm the ball wide of the post.

Blackburn Rovers: Steele; Marshall, Duffy, Hanley, Olsson; Taylor (sub Delfouneso 66 mins), Akpan, Evans (sub Williamson 90+1 mins), Conway (sub Henley 72 mins); Lawrence, Rhodes

Subs (not used): Eastwood, Spurr, Kilgallon, Koita

Bookings: Olsson (83 mins)

Brentford: Button; Yennaris, Dean, Tarkowski, Bidwell; Diagouraga, McCormack; Woods (sub Canós 89 mins), Vibe, Swift (sub Saunders 72 mins); Djuricin (sub Kerschbaumer 23 mins)

Subs (not used): Bonham, O'Connell, Gogia, Hofmann

Bookings: Yennaris (14 mins) (second of season), Kerschbaumer (45+5 mins), Bidwell (90+2 mins) (third of season)

Attendance: 12,328 (592 away fans)

Advertisement block