Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Brentford v Huddersfield Town

3 March 2015

Third home win on the spin for The Bees

Chris Long scored two goals on his full Brentford debut, including one inside four minutes, as Huddersfield Town were beaten at Griffin Park.

The Bees sent the Yorkshire side the same way as AFC Bournemouth and Blackpool as they picked up their third home win in ten days.

And it was thoroughly deserved.

After Long’s early strike Huddersfield levelled against the run of play and held out until half time.

But Long scored again early in the second half and Alex Pritchard made it safe late on.

Jon Toral put the icing on the cake, making it 4-1 in the dying seconds with a fine volley.

The game was barely four minutes old when Long marked his first Brentford start with a goal.

And quite a goal it was too.

The Everton loanee picked up a Pritchard pass and turned away from Murray Wallace before lashing a shot past Alex Smithies from 20 yards before the Huddersfield goalkeeper had set himself.

Brentford had started the game brightly with Pritchard and Toumani Diagouraga linking to good effect in the centre of the park.

Huddersfield seemed unable to cope with Jota jinking his way off the right flank and The Bees dominated the early exchanges.

Jonathan Douglas should have made it two when Pritchard and Long set him free but his low shot was saved by Smithies.

Long was denied again by the Huddersfield goalkeeper soon after following a superb run by Diagouraga and Jota missed the target after a cutting inside.

Diagouraga went close soon after with a powerful shot that was blocked by Wallace and when a cross was half cleared a Pritchard shot looped in to the arms of Smithies.

Huddersfield had offered two long range shots – from Jack Robinson and Jacob Butterfield, that failed to worry David Button – in the first 20 minutes and were more concerned with the action at the other end as Stuart Dallas shot over after turning well.

But the visitors equalised against the run of play midway through the first half.

James Vaughan found space and picked out Harry Bunn with a pass, the forward created a yard and drilled a shot across Button and in to the net.

Brentford tried to take the game back to Huddersfield after the goal.

They had completely dominated the first quarter with the visitors chasing shadows for much of proceedings.

But with a point in their grasp they played much deeper, keeping ten men behind the ball and using Vaughan as a focal point.

Brentford were forced to play in front of them for long periods, trying to pick passes and find a way through.

Pritchard shot wide from distance after creating some space but many other attacking positions were crowded out.

The Bees dominated possession and as half time approached started to play more in Huddersfield territory, although always wary of the visitors ability to counter attack.

Butterfield had a shot blocked during one break for Huddersfield but they might have gone in at half time feeling fortunate to be level given Brentford’s domination of possession and territory.

They were not, however, level for long after the break.

Jota created the second goal with a mesmerising run down the right which took him away from substitute Jake Carroll and to the by-line, the ball bobbled loose in the box after the cross was blocked and Long smashed it in to roof of the net.

Diagouraga had seen a shot saved soon after half time and Douglas was crowded out as he attempted to finish off a delicious Pritchard pass as Brentford went for the jugular after the break.

A Pritchard shot was blocked from a deep Jota corner as The Bees looked for the third goal that would make the game safe.

Huddersfield were rocking but were hanging in, defending deep and looking to stay in the game.

With Brentford still committed to attack, the visitors also had the opportunity to counter attack.

Sean Scannell had a shot blocked after a cross was half cleared and David Edgar headed a corner over before a weak Vaughan shot was blocked.

Brentford gave themselves breathing space with 20 minutes remaining.

Jota was denied by a great tackle from Carroll but the ball was recycled and Diagouraga found Pritchard who let fly with a shot that deflected past Smithies.

The Bees were not satisfied and went looking for more goals.

Substitute Andre Gray fired in to the side netting after a good burst on the right before Pritchard fired well over.

Jota was slightly closer from 20 yards before Brentford substitute Tommy Smith saw a shot blocked and then the follow-up saved.

Pritchard hit the crossbar with a free kick in stoppage time before a Smith header was blocked inside the six-yard box.

But from the resulting corner The Bees got their fourth.

The corner came in from the right and, after bouncing around the box; Toral stepped on to the dropping ball and smashed it in.

Butterfield tried to reduce the arrears with a late shot but Huddersfield were well beaten and Brentford had their third home win on the bounce.

Brentford: Button; Odubajo, Tarkowski, Moore, Bidwell; Diagouraga (sub Toral 72 mins), Douglas; Jota, Pritchard, Dallas (sub Smith 77 mins); Long (sub Gray 72 mins)

Subs (not used): Bonham, Dean, Craig, McCormack

Huddersfield Town: Smithies; Smith, Hudson, Wallace, Robinson (sub Carroll h/t); Scannell (sub Coady 79 mins), Butterfield, Edgar (sub Miller 79 mins), Hogg, Bunn; Vaughan

Subs (not used): Murphy, Lolley, Gobern, Majewski

Bookings: Butterfield (39 mins), Bunn (45 mins), Hudson (67 mins)

Attendance: 9,625 (479 away fans)

By Chris Wickham

Advertisement block