Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News


20 September 2014

Brentford suffer heavy defeat to Middlesbrough at Riverside Stadium

Middlesbrough showed their promotion credentials as Brentford suffered only their second away defeat of the 2014/15 season.

The Bees went to the Riverside Stadium and were beaten 4-0 by a Middlesbrough side well worth their win.

Grant Leadbitter smashed in the opening goal from distance before Albert Adomah doubled the lead soon after half time.

Patrick Bamford scored the third for the home side and Kike came off the substitute’s bench to make it four in the dying seconds.

Middlesbrough went on the attack from the outset and Bamford fired over within the first 70 seconds.

The home side went in to the match with two out-and-out wingers and used them often, both to press Brentford back and as attacking threats.

The home side tried to stop Brentford playing out and used a physical advantage in the challenges in their defensive half, stopping The Bees from getting any momentum.

And that was the case throughout the 90 minutes; Brentford just could not get going.

Middlesbrough had all the early chances.

David Button saved a Jelle Vossen header before Leadbitter chipped an effort wide.

Leadbitter then put a ball though for Adomah but Button saved at his feet and Emilio Nsue then lifted an effort over the crossbar.

Bamford fired a snap shot over the bar and Leadbitter forced Button in to a low save from an effort that proved to be a sign of things to come.

Adomah toe-poked wide when he got on to a Vossen chip and stuck a leg the other side of James Tarkowski and Vossen then had a shot blocked.

The goal Middlesbrough were threatening came ten minutes before the break and it was one to remember.

Leadbitter played a one-two with Bamford and stepped in to yards of space, he let fly from 35 yards and the shot ripped past Button and in to the net.

The same man fired over from a similar distance soon after but Brentford had their best spell of the half in the dying stages.

An Alex Pritchard shot, blocked at source, was all Brentford managed in the opening half hour but they spent the final few minutes of the first period attacking.

Pritchard cut inside and shot over and a Jota effort was also a little too high after a free kick was half cleared.

But The Bees could not maintain that after the break.

The home side got their second goal within five minutes of the restart and pressed for more.

The goal came when Nsue got away on the right, his low cross was inch perfect for Adomah to tap in from close range.

Adomah then almost set one up for Bamford but delivered a cross that was just ahead of him and Dean Whitehead fired just over from distance.

Brentford tried to fight back and came close to scoring when Andre Gray got on to a Jonathan Douglas pass and fired a shot in but Dimi Konstantopoulos saved well.

Pritchard shot wide soon after and Konstantopoulos saved from Jota but Middlesbrough were soon back on the attack.

Adomah fired in to the side netting after good work by Nsue and the home side got a third midway through the second half.

It came from a short corner which Nsue delivered and Bamford flicked home.

Brentford were attempting to attack but couldn’t get a foothold and were forced to defend.

Nsue had a shot blocked and Whitehead fired over before Vossen missed the target with a header.

Nsue then curled an effort over and Button saved a deflected Adam Clayton shot before the Brentford stopper denied Kike.

It was Kike who got the fourth, getting in behind and lifting an effort over Button.

The only thing that affected Middlesbrough’s mood was the dismissal of Whitehead, correctly shown a straight red card by referee Jeremy Simpson for a high foul on Alan Judge when the score was 3-0 inside the final ten minutes.

Brentford were unable to capitalise, and indeed conceded a fourth, to end a bad afternoon in a bad way.

Middlesbrough: Konstantopoulos; Fredericks, Omeruo, Gibson, Friend; Nsue, Leadbitter (sub Clayton 70 mins), Whitehead, Adomah; Vossen (sub Reach 85 mins), Bamford (sub Kike 76 mins)

Subs (not used): Blackman, Tomlin, Husband, Woodgate

Bookings: Fredericks (22 mins), Bamford (53 mins)

Sent Off: Whitehead (83 mins)

Brentford: Button; McCormack, Tarkowski, Dean, Bidwell; Douglas; Odubajo (sub Toral 75 mins), Pritchard (sub Tébar 65 mins), Judge, Jota (sub Proschwitz 65 mins); Gray

Subs (not used): Bonham, Craig, Moore, Betinho

Bookings: Tarkowski (32 mins) (third of season)

Attendance: 15,484 (567 Bees fans)

By Chris Wickham

Advertisement block