Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News


16 September 2014

Bees let two-goal lead slip to fall to defeat at Colchester United

Jon De Souza’s Development Squad let an early 2-0 lead slip as they succumbed to a 3-2 defeat at Florence Park against Colchester United in their Under-21 Professional Development League Two South match.
Brentford dominated the opening quarter of an hour and took the lead through Bradley Clayton before Charlie Adams made it two after 12 minutes, less than 60 seconds after he had seen his penalty brilliantly saved by former Bee James Bransgrove.
The Us got themselves back into the game from the penalty spot on the stroke of half-time as Tyrell Miller-Rodney was adjudged to have fouled Drey Wright, the midfield himself scoring from the spot.
Dion Sembie-Ferris made it 2-2 two minutes into the second-half before Wright had the final say with ten minutes to go as he curled home a free-kick from just outside the box to complete the comeback.
Jon’s side lined up with Adams, Courtney Senior and Montell Moore behind Clayton as the lone striker and the movement of the front four was far too much for the home side in the opening stages.
Brentford controlled possession in the opening stages and it was no surprise when they took the lead after eight minutes as Daniel O’Shaughnessy released Aaron Greene down the left and his square ball was poked home by Clayton from eight yards.
Things could have got even better two minutes later as Moore was felled in the box but former Brentford Youth Team player Bransgrove made a tremendous save low to his right to deny Adams from the spot and, on the rebound, Clayton struck the post from an acute angle.
Adams didn’t have to wait long to get himself on the score-sheet as good pressing from Clayton forced a mistake from Us skipper Billy Roast and, when Clayton squared the ball, he was on hand to sweep home from 12 yards.
Having been stunned by the two-goal opening salvo Colchester went about getting back into the game using the size and aerial power of lone striker Dominic Smith as their main weapon.
Smith, who would give The Bees central defensive pairing of O’Shaughnessy and Raphaël Calvet a tough afternoon, headed into the path of Roast but Mark Smith was able to make a comfortable save from close range.
O’Shaughnessy made a brave block to deny Conor Hubble on the edge of the box before Smith controlled a long-ball on his chest but his swivel shot was simple for Smith in the Brentford goal to save.
Brentford were looking bright on the break with the pace of Senior, Adams and Moore causing The Us defence plenty of trouble.
Senior’s mazy run ended as Roast blocked his shot and the Brentford winger shot over from distance when presented with another sight of goal.
Having controlled the opening 35 minutes Brentford were dealt a blow as captain Nico Yennaris limped off with a leg injury and his departure signalled a shift in the momentum of the game.
Smith had a shot blocked by Calvet and then forced Smith into a low save from 12 yards before Colchester were gifted a way back into the game.
There seemed to be minimal contact between Miller-Rodney and Wright on the right-hand edge of the box but Wright went to ground and the referee pointed straight to the spot, The Us midfielder picking himself up and guiding low past Smith’s outstretched hand to cut the deficit on the stroke of the interval.
The second-half was less than two minutes old when Colchester equalised through Sembie-Ferris as the pacey-winger cut inside Greene and struck a crisp shot past Smith from 15 yards.
Colchester were pressing much more aggressively in the opening stages of the second-half meaning the game became more of a scrappy battle and chances, for either side, were at a premium.
Louis Hutton forced a fine block save from Bransgrove before Miller-Rodney also tested The Us keeper while at the other end Wright dragged a shot wide from the edge of the box while Sembie-Ferris shot straight at Smith from 15 yards.
As the game entered the final ten minutes there was no suggestion that either side would settle for the point as Tom Lapslie poked Clayton’s header off the line and Smith had to be on hand to deny Wright from distance.
Wright, however, would have the decisive say as he picked up a loose pass and drew a foul out of O’Shaughnessy right on the edge of the box before picking himself up to curl the resulting free-kick through the wall and in off the inside of Smith’s left-hand post.
After Wright’s strike Brentford had ten minutes to try and get themselves back into the game but Colchester’s defence denied them a clear sight at goal meaning a second defeat in three league games this season for Jon De Souza’s side.

Colchester United DS: James Bransgrove; Tyler Brampton, Kevin Lokko, Billy Roast, Michael O'Donoghue; Tom Lapslie, Drey Wright, Jack Curtis, Dion Sembie-Ferris; Dominic Smith (sub Tariq Issa 72 mins), Conor Hubble (sub Nnamdi Nwachuku 46 mins)
Subsnot used: Ron Carroll, Cameron James,
Goals: Drey Wright 44, 81; Dion Sembie-Ferris 47
Brentford DS: Mark Smith; Nico Yennaris (sub Lionel Stone 35 mins), Daniel O'Shaughnessy, Raphael Calvet, Aaron Greene; Louis Hutton (sub Emmanuel Oyeleke 65 mins), Tyrell Miller-Rodney; Charlie Adams, Montell Moore, Courtney Senior; Bradley Clayton
Subs not used: Jordan Carey, Joe Maloney, Kieran Morris
Booked: Montell Moore; Daniel O'Shaughnessy
Goals: Bradley Clayton 8; Charlie Adams 12

Advertisement block