Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News


11 October 2014

Terriers secure three points in Under-21 Professional Development League Two fixture

A Sylvan Ebanks-Blake goal wasn't enough as Brentford's Development Squad slipped to a fourth game without victory in the Under-21 Professional Development League Two.
Ebanks-Blake, who is training with Brentford to keep up his fitness as he recovers from injury, opened the scoring after a quarter of an hour as he clinically finished Jon Toral's through ball.
However that lead lasted less than two minutes as Joe Wright headed home Jordan Sinnott's deep free-kick.
Things got worse for The Bees as Huddersfield Town took the lead a minute later when Flo Bojaj tapped home after good work from the impressive Phillip Billing.
Brentford pressed for a leveller late on but found Lloyd Allinson in top form as he made two fine saves to deny Louis Hutton from distance before securing The Terries win with a fantastic late save to deny Tyrell Miller-Rodney.
With no first-team game due to the international weekend Jon's squad was boosted with the inclusion of Toral and Ebanks-Blake who joined Charlie Adams, Josh Clarke and Montell Moore in an exciting front five for The Bees.
Wright had the first chance of the game for the visitors heading over a Sinnott free-kick but apart from that it was Brentford who had the early ascendancy.
Clarke should have given Brentford the lead after five minutes but he scuffed his shot from 12 yards and it was easy for Allinson to gather.
Adams saw a good run end with his shot deflected wide and from the corner the quick-footed winger shot wide from the edge of the box.
Ebanks-Blake, who has scored approaching 100 Championship and Premier League goals, looked sharp around the box and he tested Allinson from close range with a smart turn and shot.
However there was nothing the red-headed stopper could do on the quarter hour as Toral and Ebanks-Blake combined and the former Wolverhampton Wanderers man tucked home a neat finish off the inside of the far post.
Having worked so hard to get in front Brentford's lead lasted less than two minutes as Wright rose highest at the back post to plant Sinnott's free-kick back past Jack Bonham and into the far post.
The Bees hadn't recovered from The Terries leveller before they then fell behind as Billing ran in down the left and squared the ball for the on-rushing Bojaj to roll home.
Despite the double blow Brentford were still creating the much better chances, Moore curled a shot just wide from 25 yards and minutes later he pulled off target from the edge of the box.
Bonham in the Brentford goal was nearly embarrassed as Billing went to return a drop ball from well inside his own-half only for it to drop over The Bees keeper and bounce inches wide of his post.
The former-Watford man was much more secure when next called into action as he made a fine save to deny Sinnott from another dangerous set-piece delivery.
Ebanks-Blake had the final chance of an entertaining first-half but he pulled his shot wide from the edge of the box.
The Bees made a change in goal at the start of the second-half with Mark Smith replacing Bonham but Smith was a mere spectator for much of a second-half which failed to live up to the entertainment of the first.
Aside from a Emmanuel Oyeleke shot which was tipped over by Allinson neither goal was in any danger for the opening 20 minutes of the half.
Jon De Souza's side were dominating possession but were finding it difficult to get through a resolute Terriers who were happy to play on the break.
Hutton saw his long-range effort turned away by Allinson and Daniel O'Shaughnessy headed over from eight yards as Brentford began to threaten as the game entered the last 20 minutes.
Allinson made another fine block save to deny substitute Tyrell Miller-Rodney and the impressive Wright threw himself in the way of Ebanks-Blake on the rebound.
The Terriers were dropping deeper and deeper and Allinson was called into action by Hutton's long-range effort while at the other end Smith made a great save to push Sinnott's free-kick away from right on the edge of the box.
Brentford were throwing everything at Huddersfield in the closing stages but were finding Allinson in unbeatable form.
Adams' free-kick proved a regulation save for The Terriers stopper but there was better to come.
Toral's through ball released Miller-Rodney but Allinson was off his line sharply to block the midfielder's effort.
Kieron Morris headed an O'Shaughnessy long throw wide before Wright made another vital block to deny Jerrmaine Udumage.
Brentford continued to pile forward and, deep into injury time, thought they had an equaliser but somehow Allinson spread himself and pushed Miller-Rodney's close range volley behind to secure the three points for Frankie Bunn's side.
Brentford DS: Jack Bonham (sub Mark Smith 46 mins); Emmanuel Oyeleke, Kieran Morris, Daniel O'Shaughnessy, Aaron Greene; Louis Hutton; Josh Clarke (sub Tyrell Miller-Rodney 70 mins), Montell Moore, Jon Toral, Charlie Adams; Sylvain Ebanks-Blake (sub Jermaine Udumaga 85 mins)
Subs(not used): Joe Maloney
Booked: Daniel O'Shaughnessy
Goals: Sylvan Ebanks-Blake 16
Huddersfield Town DS: Lloyd Allinson; Jordan Sinnott, Joe Wright, Joe Wilkinson, Will Boyle; Oscar Gobern, Sondre Tronstad (sub Adam Porritt 90 mins), Phillip Billing, Matthew Crooks; Danny Carr (sub Ben Holmes 56 mins), Flo Bojaj (sub Ben Atkinson 90 mins)
Subs( not used): Ed Wilczynski
Booked: Jordan Sinnott, Phillip Billing, Matthew Crooks, Joe Wright
Goals: Joe Wright 17; Flo Bojaj 19

Advertisement block