Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Swansea City DS 4 Brentford DS 1

10 November 2014

Swansea City beat Brentford on wet evening in South Wales

Brentford’s Development Squad were beaten by Swansea City on a wet and wild night in South Wales.

The Swans put out a very experienced and expensively assembled side and were, unsurprisingly, better over the 90 minutes.

Nico Yennaris scored the goal of the evening for Brentford and levelled the game at 1-1 just past the half hour.

But Swansea scored either side of half time to give themselves breathing space and thoroughly deserved their win over the 90 minutes.

Rain poured down in the build-up to the match and continued throughout the 90 minutes.

The Swans profited in the wet conditions and took control of the game early on.

Jack Bonham made an early save from a Rory Donnelly volley and Giancarlo Gallifuoco headed over when well-placed soon after.

Betinho had an early sight of goal for The Bees when put through by Paris Bateman but was crowded out.

Most of the action was at the other end, Swansea were linking play superbly at times and had pace on the flanks, Jonjo Shelvey was pulling the strings in midfield and Josh Sheehan, playing just in front of him, ensured his side had attacking momentum.

Brentford’s cause wasn’t helped when Raphaël Calvet, who picked up an early injury, limped off just past the quarter hour and they were behind soon after.

Shelvey picked the ball up after interplay on the left and weaved his way in to the box; James Tarkowski made a tackle as the Swansea man prepared to finish and could only divert it in to his own net.

Morris made a vital interception to prevent a Modou Barrow cross reaching Donnelly soon after and Bonham denied Kenji Gorré but Brentford showed their attacking potential when Yennaris went flying down the right and delivered a cross that was just ahead of Betinho.

Unfortunately Bateman was injured in winning the ball for that attack and had to limp off soon after.

His last action was to watch Yennaris smash in the equaliser.

Aaron Greene delivered a cross from the left that was half cleared and Yennaris stepped on to it, he cut inside and fired in to the top corner from 25 yards.

That could have stunned the hosts but they responded within five minutes.

Barrow, fresh from Premier League action against Arsenal yesterday, saw a shot deflect wide and, from the resulting corner, Swansea scored again.

Shelvey took it short and got it back from Sheehan before stepping in to the box and smashing it past Bonham.

Sheehan shot over and Greene made a vital block after the impressive Barrow had twisted and turned in the box.

Brentford, however, ended the half well.

Montell Moore fired a free kick in to a defensive wall and Jack Warburton flicked a header wide from a wickedly whipped Jermaine Udumaga corner.

Brentford would have looked to come out after half time and build the momentum but were two behind within six minutes.

Donnelly fed Gorré in the inside left channel and he smashed the ball high in to the net past the helpless Bonham.

The Brentford goalkeeper then had to back pedal quickly to stop Sheehan scoring from 45 yards, Morris blocked a Barrow shot and Shelvey curled wide as Swansea briefly threatened to run riot.

Brentford, to their credit, continued to try and play their football, building through midfield and looking to get their wide players involved.

They could not, however, move the ball quickly enough often enough to worry Swansea.

The hosts pressed the ball high up the pitch and Brentford were not able to play through it sufficiently to cause problems.

When they did, chances were created.

Greene shot over after bursting forward and when Yennaris and Moore set up Tom Field he missed the target from the left channel.

Udumaga then forced Swansea goalkeeper David Cornell in to a save from a free kick while Gorré blasted over at the other end.

The home side killed the game off with their fourth with 20 minutes remaining.

A corner was half cleared and, after Donnelly’s shot was blocked, Sheehan had an effort saved and then squared for Henry Jones to tap in.

Liam Shephard fired across the face of goal, Bonham saved from Gorré and a Donnelly effort was blocked from the resulting corner.

Bonham denied Sheehan again soon after and a Ryan Hedges shot was blocked.

The Bees kept pressing until the end, looking for more goals.

Yennaris shot wide and a curling Moore effort was tipped over by Cornell.

Louis Hutton almost scored at the death when he got on to a Morris knock down but his effort was scrambled behind and the game was brought to a close soon after.

Swansea City Development Squad: David Cornell; Liam Shephard (sub Joe Rodon 79 mins), Alex Gogic, Giancarlo Gallifuoco, Connor Roberts; Adam King, Jonjo Shelvey (sub Henry Jones 60 mins); Modou Barrow (sub Ryan Hedges 66 mins), Josh Sheehan, Kenji Gorré; Rory Donnelly
Subs (not used): Oliver Davies, Alex Samuel
Brentford Development Squad: Jack Bonham; Nico Yennaris, James Tarkowski, Raphaël Calvet (sub Kieran Morris 17 mins), Aaron Greene; Louis Hutton, Jack Warburton; Montell Moore, Jermaine Udumaga, Paris Bateman (sub Tom Field 35 mins); Betinho (sub Bradley Clayton 80 mins)
Subs (not used): Mark Smith, Lionel Stone

By Chris Wickham

Advertisement block