Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News


3 March 2014

Martin Fillo hat-trick can't prevent Brentford's Development Squad losing Under-21 Professional Development League Two South match to Charlton Athletic

A Martin Fillo hat-trick, scored in seven minutes of playing time, was not enough to prevent Brentford’s Development Squad losing to Charlton Athletic.

The Bees were beaten 6-3 in South London in an Under-21 Professional Development League Two South match played in horrible conditions.

The score line was probably flattering to the hosts but they worried Brentford’s back line continually with an experienced and expensive attacking set-up that included Marvin Sordell, part of the Great Britain squad for the 2012 Olympic Games, and Anil Koç, a Turkish Under-19 international on loan from Standard Liège.

Brentford restricted them in the first half and went in ahead at the break as Fillo scored twice in 50 seconds just before half time.

The Bees fell 3-2 behind five minutes in to the second half but Fillo completed his treble to end a spell of three goals in three minutes six minutes after the break.

At 3-3 a young Brentford side looked as if they might be able to get something from the match but Charlton’s attacking prowess proved too much.

They struck three more goals, all of which Brentford would have seen as preventable, to take the win.

Anyone suggesting a 6-3 final score line would have been laughed at when Charlton held a 1-0 lead just before half time.

They had taken the lead inside the quarter hour when Cedric Evina, best known for a spell at Oldham Athletic, played a ball inside and then burst forward to latch on to a return pass from Bradley Pritchard before slotting home.

But the game had been even.

Emmanuel Oyeleke shot wide early on for Brentford, who started well without really creating clear cut chances.

The home side started to take control after Brentford’s good start and Harry Gerard shot wide after being put through by Pritchard, who was at the heart of much of Charlton’s attacking play, threading balls in to dangerous areas for runners to break on to.

After the hosts had taken the lead, Melvin Minter saved well from Kadell Daniel after Charlton broke quickly and the Brentford goalkeeper then gathered at the feet of Koç.

Louis Hutton saw a deflected shot saved for The Bees before Koç and Jack Munns fired over for the home side.

Minter saved from Koç, Pritchard headed wide and Sordell blasted but Brentford started to come back in to the game as the half wore on.

Oyeleke and Hutton, in particular, started to move the ball well around midfield and Fillo switched to the left side to good effect.

A low Montell Moore was turned on to the post by Charlton goalkeeper Dillon Phillips after Scott Barron had stepped forward and the striker then shot wide after Barron, Fillo and trialist Jermaine Udumaga combined.

Charlton had a goal, put in by Oliver Muldoon, ruled out for offside and Kieran Morris did well to block a Daniel shot after Gradi Milenge was robbed by Sordell.

Just when it appeared Charlton would take their lead in to half time, Brentford struck.

Fillo picked up a loose Sordell pass and fed Barron, when the left back returned the pass the winger fired home.

Less than a minute later Brentford had a second – Fillo brought the ball forward and then continued his run to get on to an Oyeleke pass, he raced clear and slotted past Phillips to put The Bees in front moments before half time.

The pitch had started wet and become saturated as heavy rain fell intermittently in the first half.

Even with conditions probably unfit for play, six second half goals would have been considered unlikely.

It took Charlton less than three minutes to level after the break as substitute Tobi Sho-Silva got away down the right and Sordell, who had pulled off the Brentford back line, fired low in to the far corner as the cross came in.

Minter saved from Pritchard but when the corner came in, Sho-Silva headed home as Charlton completed their turnaround within three minutes.

Brentford, however, were level within seconds.

From kick off, Oyeleke fed Josh Clarke on the right, he got away and delivered a cross, Oyeleke headed it down and Fillo lashed it in to the top corner to complete his hat-trick.

The second half had produced three goals in the first six minutes and they continued to come.

The hosts were back in front before the hour mark as Sho-Silva burst clear of the defence, picked up a Pritchard pass and fired it low past Minter.

And they had a two-goal cushion six minutes later as they broke away, Pritchard played the ball through and Koç finished low.

Brentford tried to fight back and a Moore shot deflected just wide but Charlton were still dangerous and Minter had to make a tackle to stop Sho-Silva getting on to a ball through.

The game was incredibly open with chances at both ends.

Hutton shot over for The Bees, Sho-Silva had an effort deflected wide at the other end and Sordell had a shot blocked before Brentford broke and Oyeleke fed Fillo, who had his low effort saved.

Sordell fired across the face of goal before Daniel cut inside and shot just past the far post and Joshua Umerah had a deflected effort fly wide.

Charlton got their sixth when a free kick was played in to the box, Minter could not hold on to Umerah’s effort when he probably should have, Harry Lennon’s follow-up was blocked and Kevin Feely smashed in.

Phillips saved from Fillo and Udumaga shot just wide for The Bees as they sought another goal while an Umerah cross hit Sho-Silva and bounced narrowly past the post as Charlton went looking for a seventh.

With part of the pitch under water, thanks to more rain, and the ball failing to run true in many areas, the game was called to a halt and Charlton had the win.

Charlton Athletic Development Squad: Dillon Phillips; Oliver Muldoon, Kevin Feely, Harry Lennon, Cedric Evina; Harry Gerard (sub Tobi Sho-Silva 32 mins), Bradley Pritchard, Jack Munns; Kadell Daniel, Marvin Sordell, Anil Koç (sub Joshua Umerah 71 mins)

Subs (not used): Harry Doherty, Tareiq Holmes-Dennis, Brandon Hanlon

Brentford Development Squad: Melvin Minter; Joe Maloney, Gradi Milenge, Kieran Morris, Scott Barron (sub Richard Bryan 71 mins); Emmanuel Oyeleke, Louis Hutton, Jermaine Udumaga; Martin Fillo, Montell Moore (sub Lionel Stone 82 mins), Josh Clarke

Subs (not used): Fabian Rowe

By Chris Wickham

Advertisement block