Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News


22 July 2014

Bees survive late onslaught to secure victory over Skrill South side.

Dereece Richards' header and Louis Hutton's penalty were enough to give Brentford's Development Squad the win in their pre-season friendly against Maidenhead United.
The Bees were the better side in the first-half but had to wait until injury time to take the lead as Richards' reacted quickest to nod home after Jake Eyre's shot had been well saved.
That lead was doubled in the second-half as Hutton converted from 12 yards after he had been felled in the box.
Maidenhead pushed to the end and set up a nervy final few minutes as Tom Gilbey rose highest to head home a corner but The Bees held on for the win.
Jon De Souza named four trialists in his starting XI while Youth Team defender Gradi Milenge began the game at centre-back alongside former Maidenhead loanee Alfie Mawson.
Brentford started with three in the middle as Hutton sat deeper behind Emmanuel Oyeleke and Jermaine Udumaga.
With Maidenhead lining up in a traditional 4-4-2 the extra man in Brentford's midfield was afforded large amounts of space in the opening stages.
However The Magpies were doing a good job of condensing space on the edge of their 18-yard-box and restricted Brentford to only a Hutton effort from 20 yards in the opening 10 minutes.
The home side were looking to play on the break and from one fast counter Reece Tison-Lascaris blazed over from a tight angle.
As the half wore on the game began to open up and Eyre lashed a shot wide from 12 yards after getting in behind the home defence and Hutton saw a shot blocked from eight yards.
Steffan Brown curled a shot tamely into the arms of Mark Smith for the hosts before Elvijs Putnins made a fine save to deny Eyre from close range with Oyeleke hooking the rebound over from six yards.
Alfie Mawson curled a free-kick straight at Putnins while at the other end Tison-Lascaris fired over from a good position.
Brown came close to breaking the deadlock when he sent a measured curling effort just over the angle of post and bar from 15 yards but he came even closer a minute before the break as his shot looped up off Lionel Stone and crashed off the bar and away to safety.
Having survived that warning Brentford went straight up the other end and took the lead as Richards' headed home from six yards after Eyre had drawn a fine flying save from Putnins.
The hosts made a number of changes at half-time and that disrupted their cohesion in the opening stages of the second period.
Richards should have added a second but he got the ball stuck under his feet as he raced into the box but a second wasn't long coming.
After Hutton had been felled in the box, the former Manchester City man picked himself up and rolled the spot-kick calmly into the bottom corner.
That goal seemed to wake the hosts up and they began to create chances as they threw men forward looking to get back into the game.
Jamesh Holait saw a header cleared off the line before his follow-up effort was saved by half-time substitute Nik Tzanev.
Stone made a brave block to deny Dave Tarpey before Danny Green shot straight at Tzanev.
Just after the hour Hutton, Mawson and Eyre were withdrawn and Maidenhead took that as their cue to take complete control of the game.
Tzanev made a comfortable save to keep out Tarpey's long-range effort before Green's looping effort called him into more serious action.
Holait headed Green's wicked free-kick wide from eight yards before Tzanev nearly let Tarpey's tame effort trickle through him but he managed to recover in time.
The home crowd were creating a great atmosphere for a pre-season friendly and they got their reward with seven minutes remaining as Gilbey headed home from close range to set up a nervy final few minutes.
Despite the waves of Maidenhead players piling forward The Bees defence, well marshalled by Milenge, held firm and saw out the closing minutes to record the win.

Brentford DS: Mark Smith (sub Nik Tzanev 46 mins); Lionel Stone, Alfie Mawson (sub James Yeboah 63 mins), Gradi Milenge, Aaron Greene; Louis Hutton (sub Zain Westbrooke 63 mins), Jermaine Udumaga (sub Xavier Vidal 46 mins); Dereece Richards, Emmanuel Oyeleke, Femi Akinwande; Jake Eyre (sub Makhosini Khanye 63 mins)
Maidenhead United: Elvijs Putnins; Brett Longdew, Mark Nisbet (sub Jamesh Holait 46 mins), Jacob Erskine (sub Bobby Behdazi 63 mins), Tom Gilbey (sub Leon Soloman 46 mins); Lanre Azeez (sub Dave Tarpey 46 mins), Daniel Brown, Adrian Clifton (sub Ashley Nicholls 46 mins), Isaac Osei-Tutu (sub Danny Green 22 mins); Stefan Brown (sub Jonathan Hippolyte 46 mins), Reece Tison-Lascaris
Subsnot used: Sam Barrett

Ciaran Brett

Advertisement block