Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News


14 January 2014

Ipswich Town strike late to earn a point in Brentford's latest Development Squad match

Brentford’s Development Squad were made to pay for not taking their chances as they were held to a draw by Ipswich Town in an Under-21 Professional Development League Two South fixture in Suffolk.

The Bees dominated almost from start to finish and created numerous openings but only took one.

A Charlie Adams goal midway through the second half still looked as if it would be enough to give The Bees the win but Ipswich hit back.

Substitute Jonny Leddy headed in from a free kick with four minutes to go to give Ipswich a share of the spoils.

Ipswich should not have even had the opportunity to level that late.

The Bees had complete control from the first whistle and it took some fine goalkeeper from Michael Crowe, a bit of luck and some wasteful finishing to prevent the game ending in a four or five goal win for the away side.

They had chances to be a couple up inside ten minutes.

First Aaron Pierre, playing on the left side of a front three, headed a Scott Barron cross wide and Martin Fillo was denied by Crowe when he ran in to the penalty area and only had the goalkeeper to beat.

Tyrell Miller-Rodney had a shot blocked before Crowe denied Fillo and Alfie Mawson.

Central defender Mawson then headed wide, taking the ball away from the arriving Luke Norris, from an Adams corner.

Ipswich had a few attacking openings in the first 15 minutes – Jack Doherty had a shot blocked and Jordan Adekunle fired across the face of goal – but Brentford were in command.

Playing the same 4-3-3 system as the First Team, they dominated midfield.

Adams, in particular, had room to play and full backs Barron and Raphaël Calvet bombed on.

Chances continued to come and go.

Norris wasted a great one when a Kieran Morris ball over the top set him in behind, he only had Crowe to beat and lifted it over him but watched it bounce wide.

The loss of Fillo, injured while attempting to score early on, hindered Brentford.

Youth Team defender Richard Bryan came on to replace him but that left Brentford with fewer attack minded players on the pitch.

They did, however, continue to go forward.

A low Adams shot was saved and Crowe then denied Norris with his feet after good work by Bryan and Adams, the Brentford striker should not really have given the goalkeeper a chance.

Mawson headed an Adams corner down in to the floor and over the bar from close range before Crowe saved at the feet of Joe Maloney and Adam fired narrowly over after a mazy run.

Richard Lee was a mere spectator at the other end and when Adekunle did get a sight of goal, meeting a Doherty cross with his head, his effort was weak and easily saved.

Norris and Miller-Rodney had efforts deflected wide as the teams went in at the break all square but that didn’t change much.

Brentford continued to dominate possession and territory after the break, they were not, however, able to create many openings and Ipswich came back in to the game.

The home side had their best spell as the game approached the hour mark.

A Sam Ford effort deflected wide and a Michael Timlin shot was blocked as Ipswich started to play on the front foot.

But it was when Ipswich were at their best that Brentford struck.

Timlin’s loose pass was intercepted by Adams, he went past Omar Sowunmi and lifted a shot over Crowe, the keeper got a hand to it but couldn’t prevent it rolling in.

The hosts almost equalised immediately when Bishop wriggled free but his fierce shot was superbly palmed away by Lee.

With a goal under their belts, Brentford started to play in a more expansive fashion.

Crowe got down well to deny Miller-Rodney after good work by Adams and Barron was unable to turn the loose ball home.

Calvet shot over after Bryan burst down the right and when Pierre did likewise on the other side, his shot was blocked and Bryan’s follow-up lacked the power to find the back of the net.

A quick Calvet free kick set Norris in behind, he rounded Crowe but Fowler recovered to clear the shot off the line.

Mawson’s header from Adams’ corner was cleared off the line and the follow-up blocked before Crowe saved a Maloney volley.

Ipswich were hanging on for dear life and were fortunate Sowunmi did not concede a penalty when  Norris turned him on the by-line and was then felled inside the penalty area as he prepared to drill the ball across.

Referee Andrew Aylott decided no offence had been committed.

Miller-Rodney shot over and when he combined with Adams to set up Norris the striker saw a shot deflect inches wide.

A Pierre header was cleared off the line and Bryan’s volley was saved as time ticked down.

But Brentford were made to pay for failing to kill Ipswich off.

A free kick was conceded on the left and curled in, substitute Leddy rose completely unmarked to head home and level it up.

Both teams had chances to win it.

Mawson headed over from close range and a Norris shot was blocked while at the other end Ford shot well wide and Doherty fired in to the side netting.

Adams had a chance to win it at the death when a cross was half cleared, he fired in a shot from ten yards but Crowe saved and earned his team a point.

Ipswich Town Development Squad: Michael Crowe; Joe Robinson (sub Josh Emmanuel 57 mins), George Fowler, Omar Sowunmi, Mark Timlin; Jack Doherty, Ted Bishop, Amir Berkane, Cory Galvin (sub Jonny Leddy 61 mins); Jordan Adekunle (sub Cemal Ramadan 78 mins), Sam Ford

Subs (not used): Ed Ellis, Brian Martin

Brentford Development Squad: Richard Lee; Raphaël Calvet, Kieran Morris, Alfie Mawson, Scott Barron (sub Lewis Lavender 71 mins); Tyrell Miller-Rodney, Joe Maloney, Charlie Adams; Martin Fillo (sub Richard Bryan 20 mins), Luke Norris, Aaron Pierre


By Chris Wickham

Advertisement block