Clubs agree to end loan after attacker suffers injury
Conor McAleny’s loan deal at Brentford has been brought to an early end after he picked up a serious injury last week.
The forward, who has just turned 21, joined The Bees on loan from Everton for the first half of the 2013/14 season and will stay at Griffin Park initially until January 6.
However, in last week’s Sky Bet League One match against Walsall, Conor suffered a broken leg.
He is expected to be out for most of the 2013/14 season.
In the circumstance, the clubs have agreed to end the loan deal early.
Mark Warburton, Brentford FC Sporting Director, said: “The injury sustained by Conor was of course a devastating blow to the player and to all associated with Brentford FC.
“Conor had already displayed his evident talent and we were all looking forward to watching his contribution in the months ahead.
“However, such injuries are part and parcel of the game and the good news is that his recovery will be overseen by the excellent medical team at Everton, a club with whom we have an excellent relationship.
“Everton have immediately acted in the most professional and respectful manner to the club and have taken the player back with immediate effect.
“This is a superb gesture on their part and my sincere thanks go to [Head of Football Operations] David Harrison, [Manager] Roberto Martinez and [Under-21 Manager] Alan Stubbs for the way in which they have reacted to this situation.
“It just leaves me to say that everyone at Brentford wishes Conor a swift and speedy return to full fitness and we hope very much that we can see him back on loan with the club in the not too distant future.”
Brentford Manager Uwe Rösler said: “We all wish Conor all the best.
“He did very well for us and will be a big miss, he would be welcome back at any time.
“He started his Brentford career in a very promising way.
“We can see how hard it will be to replace him and get someone in with his qualities and his hunger.
“It was very unfortunate and it will be good for him to be close to his friends and family for his rehabilitation.”
Conor has been with Everton since he was 11 and was given a squad number for the 2009/10 season, which started when he was just 16.
He made his Everton debut in December 2011 and has made two Premier League appearances as a substitute.
He played four Sky Bet League One games for The Bees and scored twice in a pre-season friendly win over Cardiff City.