Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News


30 September 2013

Trotta strikes twice as Bees win

Jonathan Douglas marked his first 90 minutes since a knee operation with the opening goal as Brentford’s Development Squad beat Charlton Athletic.

The Bees beat their South London rivals 4-2 in an Under-21 Professional Development League Two South game at a blustery Jersey Road Training Ground.

The central midfield player completed the full match and looked comfortable while striker Marcello Trotta grabbed two in the win.

Trotta’s first put Brentford 2-0 up just before half time and his second made it 4-1 after the visitors had hit back in the second half and Scott Barron had restored the two-goal lead.

A two-goal win was probably a fair reflection of a game that Brentford always had the upper hand in but a Charlton line-up with far less experience made life difficult at times.

Bradley Jordan had an early shot blocked for the hosts and another effort deflected wide before Kadell Daniel shot well over.

David Button was called in to action to make a fine stop to deny Tobi Sho-Silva after Jake Reeves had conceded possession.

Luke Norris had an early shot saved for The Bees before Trotta had a shot blocked and Tareiq Holmes-Dennis turned a cross just past his own post.

From the resulting corner, Aaron Pierre fired in a shot that flew narrowly past the far post.

At the midway point of the first half the game was even and if anything Charlton were having just the better of it but Brentford went ahead soon after.

Joao Teixeira spread the play from left to right and found Raphaël Calvet, up from right back, he delivered to the far post and Douglas arrived to smash home.

Brentford almost doubled the lead soon after when, after good work by Trotta, Teixeira again spread the play, Norris fired across the goal and just past the far post.

Jordan shot just over for the visitors after Brentford failed to deal with a corner and Jack Munns missed the target from distance while at the other end a Reeves shot from 20 yards faded just past the far post.

Harry Lennon should have equalised for Charlton when he rose highest to meet a Daniel corner but he missed the target.

And Charlton were made to pay seconds before the break.

Play continued after an aerial challenge in midfield and the ball was fed in to Norris on the left, he twisted his way past Kevin Feely when he had no right to and squared for Trotta to slot home.

Although they had a 2-0 lead, Brentford had not been cohesive in the first half but they started well after the break.

Their passing seemed crisper and they were able to have better possession in better areas.

Norris had a shot blocked and Phillips saved well from a curling Douglas effort.

From the resulting corner, Pierre’s header was blocked, as were two follow-up efforts from Norris.

Button had been a virtual spectator at the start of the second period, dealing with one deep cross, but was soon picking the ball out of his net.

Sho-Silva got behind the Brentford defence on the right side, his cross found Munns and the small midfield player wriggled away from Ben Nugent before beating Button.

Charlton seemed to be back in it but Brentford responded immediately.

Barron played the ball down the line to Norris and then received a pass inside; the left back fired a low shot unerringly in off the far post.

It was 4-1 soon after when Dallas lifted a cross from right to left, Trotta killed it instantly and smashed a low shot across Phillips and in to the corner.

Brentford were buoyant but seemed to step off the gas and Charlton took the ascendency.

The visitors looked for a way back in to the game.

Sho-Silva shot over at the near post and then forced Button to save at his feet while Daniel had an effort deflected wide.

Trotta blocked a fierce Daniel effort but the striker made no mistake when Jordan set him in following a quick free kick and he slotted past Button to bring it back to 4-2.

Button made a fine save to deny Patrick Antelmi and the substitute then headed wide when well placed.

Munns also forced Button in to a low save from a free kick.

Dallas almost had the last word but fired over from the edge of the penalty area seconds before the end of Brentford’s second win in three Professional Development League games this season.

Brentford Development Squad: David Button; Raphaël Calvet, Ben Nugent, Aaron Pierre (sub Alfie Mawson 60 mins), Scott Barron; Stuart Dallas, Jake Reeves, Jonathan Douglas; Joao Teixeira; Luke Norris (sub Josh Clarke 65 mins), Marcello Trotta

Subs (not used): Joe Taylor, Charlie Adams, Tyrell Miller-Rodney

Bookings: Reeves (30 mins)

Charlton Athletic Development Squad: Dillon Phillips; Harry Osborne, Harry Lennon, Kevin Feely, Tareiq Holmes-Dennis; Bradley Jordan, Diego Poyet, Jack Munns; Tobi Sho-Silva, Oliver Muldroon (sub Patrick Antelmi 68 mins), Kadell Daniel

Subs (not used): Harry Doherty, Joe Gomez, Terell Thomas

By Chris Wickham

Advertisement block