Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News


23 November 2013

No goals at Molineux Stadium

Brentford extended their unbeaten run to seven with a draw away to Sky Bet League One promotion favourites Wolverhampton Wanderers.

Wolves started the day top of League One but The Bees were well worth their 0-0 draw and came closest to winning the game in the second half.

They had to survive a few scares, particularly in the first period, but 0-0 told a tale of two evenly matched teams that defended superbly.

The home team started very brightly, Kevin Doyle had a shot deflected over inside the first 15 seconds and from the resulting corner the Republic of Ireland international striker headed inches wide.

It was apparent inside the first five minutes that Doyle was the home side’s danger man.

While he may not always have been the man shooting on goal, his movement created space for others to operate in and his running in to the channels pulled the Brentford defence around the pitch.

Bakary Sako bounced a volley over from another Doyle cross and the Irishman then set up strike partner Leigh Griffiths, he found room to turn but his shot was blocked by Tony Craig.

Wolves went close again when Doyle found Griffiths in the inside left position, he fired in a wicked shot that dipped and swerved away from David Button before cannoning to safety off the inside of the post.

Sako picked up the loose ball but his shot was saved by Button.

Despite being under the cosh, Brentford should have taken the lead 13 minutes in.

Kadeem Harris found space on the left and teased his way to the by-line, he lifted in a cross that eluded everyone except Adam Forshaw arriving late at the far post, the midfield man should have scored but volleyed over from six yards.

Doyle was causing problems with his movement while Griffiths shot for goal almost every time he saw the whites of the posts.

He was often not far away.

Button got down well to keep out an effort from Griffiths midway through the first half before saving at the feet of Doyle and Craig blocked another shot from the trigger-happy striker.

Brentford were slowly coming in to the game as the first half wore on.

Their pressing started to force mistakes and when they had possession they were able to create pockets of space.

Clayton Donaldson and Harris showed signs they could get in behind the home side with their pace and Forshaw, Jonathan Douglas and George Saville were starting to move Wolves around in the centre of the park.

Donaldson came close to an opening goal when he got in behind on the right side, chasing an Alan McCormack pass, the striker got to it just before goalkeeper Carl Ikeme at full stretch and lifted it over him but it rolled inches wide.

Ikeme saved at the feet of Donaldson soon after before, after nice interplay on the edge of the penalty area, Marcello Trotta fired in a shot that flicked Douglas and flew just wide.

Michael Jacobs shot over for the hosts and as the minutes ran out at the end of the first half Griffiths shot wide and then fired inches past the far post.

Donaldson had another sight of goal late in the first half when he out-muscled Sam Ricketts and Richard Stearman and got in to a shooting position, but the angle was tight and Ikeme stood up well to keep it out.

Forshaw had a shot blocked early in the second period for The Bees but it was, in general, a cagier affair in the opening minutes after half time.

Wolves still held the upper hand slightly, and spent more time on the front foot, but they were not able to create anything of note.

As the game wore on, Brentford started to gain the upper hand but it was an attritional second period, with few good chances.

One of the best fell to Doyle when Sako broke away, the striker fired in a shot from 12 yards that Button saved well.

McCormack fired across the face of goal for Brentford and Ikeme saved deflected efforts from Forshaw and Saville as the minutes ticked down.

Brentford were nearly the architects of their own downfall when Harlee Dean was robbed 20 yards from goal but Griffiths fired in to the side netting.

The Bees looked the more likely winners as the game entered its final stages.

Will Grigg fired inches past the far post from a tight angle and Ikeme saved a deflected Sam Saunders shot.

The goalkeeper then made a wonderful save to his left to keep out a 20 yard effort from Toumani Diagouraga and an even better one seconds later when McCormack’s rasping 20 yard volley looked set for the back of the net.

Jake Cassidy pulled a shot wide late on for the home side but that was one of few times Wolves got in to Brentford territory late on and the game ended all square.

Wolverhampton Wanderers: Ikeme; Doherty, Batth, Stearman, Ricketts; Sako, McDonald, Edwards, Jacobs (sus Ismail 72 mins); Doyle (sub Sigurdarson 88 mins), Griffiths (sub Cassidy 88 mins)

Subs (not used): McCarey, Price, Ebanks-Landell, Golbourne

Brentford: Button; McCormack, Dean, Craig, Bidwell; Forshaw, Douglas, Saville (sub Diagouraga 78 mins); Donaldson, Trotta (sub Saunders 65 mins), Harris (sub Grigg 58 mins)

Subs (not used): Lee, Logan, Nugent, El Alagui

Bookings: Donaldson (77 mins), Saunders (87 mins)

Attendance: 19,061

By Chris Wickham

Advertisement block