Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News


2 November 2013

Brentford record fourth straight Sky Bet League One victory

Adam Forshaw's third goal of the season made it four Sky Bet League One wins in the row for Uwe Rösler's Brentford side.

The midfielder made no mistake from the penalty spot in the fifth minute after Kyle McFadzean had brought down Kadeem Harris. 

Both sides had chances in what was a entertaining game but The Bees held on consolidate their place in the Sky Bet League One play-off spots.

Brentford named an unchanged squad from the victory over Shrewsbury Town seven days ago with Harris and Clayton Donaldson staring either side of Marcello Trotta in attack.

The game was only four minutes old when The Bees were given the chance to take the lead as Harris strode forward in the area and Kyle McFadzean made a clumsy challenge and referee Graham Scott pointed to the spot.

Forshaw sent Paul Jones the wrong way to score his third goal of the season. 

The home side looked for a way back into the game and Kyle Bennett’s wickedly swerving shot from outside the area was well held by David Button.

Forshaw spurned a good opportunity in the 14th minute, blazing over when Harris was better placed, after good approach play from Alan McCormack and Donaldson down the right.

Brentford proceeded to dominate the play, but without creating any chances, making a series of neat interlinking passes.

However Crawley had a great opportunity to equalise in the 34th minute after the ball sat nicely for Andy Drury but Button got down well to save.

The Bees started the second half on the front foot and Harris' weaving run forced McFadzean into a vital clearance from the edge of the six yard box.

Forshaw floated a cross shot over the bar from the angle but the hosts then missed a glorious chance to level on 50 minutes.

Fine work on the right from Mike Jones was let down as Drury headed the wrong side of the post from eight yards.

Crawley were throwing men forward in attack as the minutes ticked and Jones unleashed a fierce drive that flew over the angle of post and bar from 20 yards.

Toumani Diagouraga, who was a half-time substitute for George Saville, went into the book on the hour for a challenge on Jones in the midfield. 

Crawley were seeing less of the ball in the second period but were creating chances. 

A good run from Proctor saw Joe Walsh drag a shot side of Button's right-hand post and when Forshaw was dispossessed midway inside his own half Drury curled well wide from 25 yards. 

Former Bee Emilie Sinclair was introduced with 25 minutes to go in place of Drury seconds before The Bees had a good chance to make it two.

Trotta and Forshaw combined to rob possession in the midfield and Forshaw set Donaldson free down the right but Joe Walsh matched him stride for stride and blocked his shot behind for a corner. 

The corner was worked wide to Trotta who turned his man well but then thrashed his shot wide from 15 yards. 

Uwe's side were having joy on the break and could have extended their lead with 20 minutes to go but first Harris and then Forshaw both sliced volleyed efforts when well placed. 

The goalscorer then forced Paul Jones into a fine full-stretch save with a low left footed drive from the edge of the box. 

At the other end Harlee Dean was booked for a challenge on Kyle Bennett and from the free-kick a combination of McCormack and Button were able to clear the ball. 

Sam Saunders and Will Grigg were introduced for the Bees and Saunders' peach of a cross was headed narrowly wide by Forshaw.

Brentford old boy Gary Alexander was introduced as the game wore towards a conclusion but he fluffed his lines with five minutes to go, mis-kicking from James Hurst's cross. 

The home side were calling for red as the game entered five minutes of added time when Tony Craig pulled down Nicky Adams but the referee produced the yellow card only and from the free-kick Bennett headed over from 12 yards. 

Five minutes of added time were signalled but The Bees spent most of injury time camped in the Crawley half and held on to maintain the 100% record against Crawley Town in competitive fixtures. 

Crawley Town: Jones; Sadler, McFadzean, Drury (sub Sinclair 67 mins), Simpson, Walsh, Proctor (sub Alexander 76 mins), Bulman (sub Hurst 85 mins), Adams, Jones, Bennett.

Subs (not used): Connolly, Torres, Rooney, Maddison. 

Brentford: Button; McCormack, Bidwell, Craig, Dean; Douglas, Saville (sub Diagouraga 46 mins), Forshaw; Harris(sub Saunders 77 mins), Trotta (sub Grigg 81 mins), Donaldson.

Subs (not used): Lee, El Alagui, Logan, Nugent.

Booked: Diagouraga (62 mins) (third of season), Dean (74 mins) (fifth of season) (suspended for one match - Staines Town November 9), Craig (90 mins) (second of season)

Goalscorer: Forshaw 5 (pen)

Attendance: 4177 (1214 away)

Advertisement block