Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News


2 May 2013

Bees reach Middlesex County Senior Charity Cup, which supports the charity Help for Heroes, Final

Brentford booked a place in the Final of the Middlesex County Senior Charity Cup, which supports the charity Help for Heroes, with a win over Hanworth Villa.

The Bees took on the Combined Counties Premier Division side in the Semi-Final of the competition with a young team and a makeshift back four.

They included Youth Team midfield players Joe Maloney and Max Herbert in the centre of defence and had only two professionals – Luke Norris and Leon Redwood – in the starting XI.

But the young side rose to the challenge of an older opposition on a bumpy pitch and were well worth the win.

Myles Hippolyte put The Bees ahead early on and Lewis Lavender added a second after the break.

Norris sealed the win with a fine solo goal with 15 minutes remaining.

The win was every bit as comfortable as the 3-0 score line suggested.

The Bees started superbly, got their noses in front and never looked back.

The opening goal came 12 minutes in when Brentford broke from a corner and Michael Onovwigun slipped Hippolyte in behind the home defence, the striker out-muscled Jimmy Major, rolled the ball past Terry Buss and in to the net.

The only surprise at that point was that it was the opening goal, The Bees started so well, attacking with numbers and cutting open the home defence – particularly through Josh Clarke on the right – that they could have had the game won within the first 15 minutes.

Buss saved at the feet of Hippolyte within the first minute before he denied the striker again after good work from Clarke, the ball was half cleared and Hippolyte had a shot blocked before a Montell Moore shot was scrambled away.

Buss saved low from Hippolyte and then kept out a deflected shot from the striker before Moore was unable to convert a Clarke cross and Redwood shot wide.

Finally the goal came but it woke the home side up and Brentford’s hold on the game was weakened.

The Bees had to stand firm defensively as the balls started to come in to their penalty area.

Largely they dealt with everything Hanworth Villa had to offer, although one Herbert header was only just past his own post and Joe Johnson curled a corner against the outside of the near post.

Goalkeeper Joe Taylor was not called in to action often but did his work well when he was.

He saved well from Levin King before Andrew Tuett shot over and Adam Baigent headed wide.

Baigent was in action at the other end to deny Hippolyte and Moore had a shot blocked after Clarke turned Johnson inside out and left him on the floor.

Buss saved from Moore as half time approached but Ricky Farnden almost pulled the hosts level seconds before the interval with a low shot that flew just past the far post.

Johnson shot over just after the restart but Brentford took control again and it was just a matter of when they would increase their lead and seal the win.

Buss did well to deal with an awkwardly bouncing Hippolyte shot and then saved from Norris and held on to a cross-cum-shot from the striker.

A Clarke shot deflected wide, a Moore shot was blocked and Buss saved from Hippolyte as Hanworth struggled to hold on.

Their resistance was eventually broken when Onovwigun slipped a ball through the home defence; Lavender raced in behind, rounded Buss and rolled the ball home.

That ended the game as a contest but Brentford continued to play their football and create openings.

Buss saved at the feet of Norris and then held on to a Moore chip before he saved a low Norris free kick.

Hanworth had offered almost nothing in attack but a long ball set Tuett in behind and Taylor made a fantastic save high to his right to maintain Brentford’s 2-0 lead.

Sam Talbot blasted over for the hosts, a Lee Higgs header was deflected wide and Baigent missed the target when well-placed as Hanworth sought a way back in to the game.

But Brentford sealed it when Norris worked his way past three defenders and slotted under Buss to make it three.

Substitute Josh Stockwell fired over from the left channel before Lavender missed the target from distance and Rowe turned a Herbert cross wide.

Taylor saved from Matt Baines and Buss denied Charlie Adams before Lavender missed his kick after great work on the left by Herbert and Fabian Rowe.

The fourth goal The Bees probably deserved never came but there was no doubt about the result.

Brentford will now play Uxbridge in the Middlesex County Senior Charity Cup, which supports the charity Help for Heroes, Final next Thursday.

Hanworth Villa: Terry Buss; Adam Baigent, Lee Higgs, Matt Baines; Sam Talbot, Jimmy Major (sub Josh Brooks 73 mins), Anthony Oaks, Joe Johnson; Ricky Farnden; Levi King, Andrew Tuett (sub Chris Byron 81 mins)

Subs (not used): James McEwan

Brentford Development Squad: Joe Taylor; Josh Clarke, Joe Maloney, Max Herbert, Leon Redwood; Tyrell Miller-Rodney (sub Fabian Rowe 77 mins); Lewis Lavender, Montell Moore, Michael Onovwigun; Luke Norris (sub Josh Stockwell 75 mins), Myles Hippolyte (sub Charlie Adams 73 mins)

Subs (not used): George Pilbeam, Isaac Layne

By Chris Wickham

Advertisement block