Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Brentford v Yeovil Town

19 May 2013

Yeovil promoted as Bees lose at Wembley

Brentford will face another season in the third tier after losing the npower League One Play-Off Final to Yeovil Town.

On a sunny afternoon at Wembley, Brentford fell behind six minutes in as Paddy Madden scored fantastically from the edge of the penalty area with the outside of his right foot.

They had the better of the first period but couldn’t find a leveller and Dan Burn gave Yeovil a two-goal cushion just before half time.

Harlee Dean pulled a goal back early in the second half and Brentford dominated the entire second period, as they had done for most of the first.

But they could not recover a two-goal cushion and Brentford’s dream of promotion turned in to the nightmare of a seventh Play-Off defeat in seven attempts.

An early injury to James McAllister meant the game took five minutes to get going and Yeovil started strongly.

Madden had a shot blocked inside five minutes and opened the scoring soon after.

Sam Foley had too much space on the edge of the penalty area and fired in a shot that Shaleum Logan blocked, it fell to Madden and he curled an effort with the outside of his right foot past the despairing dive of Simon Moore and in to the corner.

It took Brentford at least ten minutes to settle down but once they did, they started to take control of territory and possession.

They were not, however, at their fluent best and Yeovil were shutting off decent supply in to the front players.

There were openings for The Bees but they were not clear cut.

A Harry Forrester shot was blocked and Tom Adeyemi’s follow-up header was saved by Marek Stech.

Marcello Trotta failed to connect with a Jake Bidwell cross when well-placed and when Adam Forshaw delivered a corner, Dean’s header and Tony Craig’s follow-up were scrambled away.

A Forrester shot was deflected in to the arms of Stech and the goalkeeper held on to a chipped effort from the same man soon after as Brentford started to build some momentum.

Yeovil had barely been in the Brentford half after scoring but The Bees had to scramble away when Byron Webster headed a McAllister corner down and Dan Burn’s effort bounced wide.

And from their next corner, Yeovil had their second.

Ed Upson delivered it from the left, Burn headed down and as James Hayter swung a foot, it bounced past Moore and the despairing Logan on the line.

The goal was initially given to Hayter but he did not touch it and centre half Burn got the credit.

Stech had to save high to his left from a Trotta header and Moore kept out a low McAllister free kick but the teams went in to the break with the score at 2-0 and leaving Brentford with a mountain to climb.

Manager Uwe Rösler made a tactical switch at half time, moving Clayton Donaldson up front and pulling Adam Forshaw out to the right side of a midfield four in a 4-4-2 system.

The Bees immediately looked brighter – Toumani Diagouraga volleyed wide and Dean headed wide from a corner.

And six minutes in to the second half, they were back in it.

Forshaw delivered from the right, Dean lost his man and powered a header past Stech to reduce the arrears.

Bradley Wright-Phillips and Sam Saunders were introduced as Brentford sought to turn dominance in to goals

A Forshaw shot was deflected wide and when a short corner was played to Forrester, his cross was met by Donaldson with a powerful header, Stech turned it away and Wright-Phillips couldn’t turn in the loose ball.

Forshaw combined with Saunders soon after on the edge of the penalty area and it opened up for the midfield man but his low shot was kept out by Stech.

The second half was all Brentford, as the majority of the match had been, but time was running out.

Foley screwed a shot wide for Yeovil but all the action was at the other end.

Stech saved from Wright-Phillips after substitute Paul Hayes had laid the ball in to his path and Saunders had a shot blocked.

Wright-Phillips headed over and Dean headed narrowly wide as chances continued to come, and go.

Logan cut inside and shot wide of the near post and Saunders blasted over as the game entered six minutes of stoppage time.

Wright-Phillips had a shot on the turn blocked but eventually time ran out for Brentford and Yeovil took the place in The Championship.

Brentford: Moore; Logan, Dean, Craig, Bidwell; Adeyemi, Diagouraga (sub Hayes 82 mins), Forshaw; Donaldson, Trotta (sub Wright-Phillips 62 mins), Forrester (sub Saunders 67 mins)

Subs (not used): Gounet, Hodson, O’Connor, Douglas

Yeovil Town: Stech; Ayling, Webster, Burn, McAllister (sub Maksimenko 77 mins); Dawson, Upson, Edwards, Foley; Hayter (sub Dolan 88 mins), Madden

Subs (not used): Stewart, Hinds, Williams, Young, Balanta

Bookings: Upson (70 mins), Dawson (75 mins), Williams (90 mins)

Attendance: 41,955

By Chris Wickham

Advertisement block