Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News


9 March 2013

Bees beaten in Cumbria

Brentford lost consecutive npower League One games for the first time this season as they were beaten 2-0 by Carlisle United.

The Bees came in to the game on the back of a loss at Stevenage and produced a much improved performance.

But they could not find a way to get ahead, conceded a goal from a set piece and were then hit on the break in the second half as they looked for a way back in to it.

Brentford started very brightly, they dominated the midfield and the wide men – Stuart Dallas and Clayton Donaldson – stretched the home defence.

The Bees created enough plenty of openings but failed to really test Mark Gillespie in the Carlisle goal in the early stages and when they did hit the target the stopper was equal to what they could throw at him.

Donaldson missed the target with an overhead effort inside the first two minutes and Dallas fired narrowly over from 30 yards.

Marcello Trotta had a shot deflected wide and was then denied by Sean O’Hanlon before Donaldson missed the target on the turn.

Carlisle had been forced back and were almost exclusively defending for the first 20 minutes – Simon Moore made a comfortable save from a Brad Potts header and Liam Moore made a tackle to prevent Mark Beck shooting on the two occasions they managed to get in to Brentford territory.

The home side did, however, start to come in to the game 20 minutes in and Beck missed the target from a fine Matty Robson cross.

The next time the home side got the ball forward, they took the lead.

Jon-Paul McGovern delivered the free kick and O’Hanlon got up to loop a header from 15 yards that beat a backpedalling Simon Moore and landed in the back of the net.

Adam Forshaw had a shot deflected wide as Brentford pressed but Carlisle had a spring in their step.

A Robson shot was deflected wide and McGovern curled the resulting corner against the crossbar.

When the next ball came in to the box, Beck headed powerfully down but Simon Moore saved superbly to his right and then got up quickly and then down again to fantastically save Robson’s follow-up.

Brentford had been rocked but gathered themselves and started to take control again.

A Tony Craig ball flew across the six-yard box but Donaldson couldn’t convert and Frank Simek blocked a Trotta shot yards from his goal line moments later.

Dallas saw a header blocked before Gillespie went full stretch to palm away a Forshaw shot and Donaldson missed the target on the turn.

Gillespie saved a Forshaw header, Jonathan Douglas missed the target with a near post effort and a Trotta shot deflected wide as Brentford pressed.

Liam Moore fired narrowly over when a Craig cross reached him at the far post and a Douglas free kick deflected wide while Brentford blocked a similar Robson effort at the other end.

Douglas faded a shot wide with the outside of his foot when a cross had been half cleared but Brentford went in to the break behind.

The Bees were unfortunate to be a goal down but Carlisle had made their pressure pay and the visitors had not tested Gillespie enough.

Brentford started the second half in similar fashion – Donaldson headed a Craig cross wide when well-placed and a Forshaw shot deflected over – but Carlisle punished The Bees again nine minutes after the re-start.

Liam Moore was robbed by Potts in midfield and the Carlisle midfield player fed Beck, the striker placed his shot expertly past Simon Moore to leave Brentford with a mountain to climb.

They tried to find a quick response – a Forshaw shot was blocked and one from Trotta looped on to the roof of the net.

Toumani Diagouraga came within a whisker of pulling a goal back when he controlled a Dallas cross, turned a shot inches wide of the far post with Gillespie beaten.

McGovern curled a free kick well over for the hosts but all the action was at the other end.

Gillespie palmed a Dallas shot away and when Craig headed a corner down, Bradley Wright-Phillips was crowded out.

Carlisle almost snatched a third on the break when Robson robbed Dallas, attacked the penalty area and fired in a shot but Liam Moore was able to block.

Dean fired well over and Trotta was just unable to head in a Dallas cross before Gillespie saved at the feet of Charlie Adams, who was brought on for his Brentford debut.

Simon Moore saved a McGovern volley and a Trotta shot was blocked at the other end before the striker had a header blocked.

Simon Moore palmed away a Berrett shot after a quick Carlisle break and as the minutes ticked down the game was up for Brentford and they headed back south with nothing to show for their efforts.

Carlisle United: Gillespie; Simek, Livesey, O’Hanlon, Mustoe; Thirlwell, McGovern, Potts, Berrett, Robson (sub Welsh 82 mins); Beck

Subs (not used): Collin, Murphy, Loy, Cadamarteri, Edwards, Symington

Bookings: Thirlwell (41 mins)

Brentford: S. Moore, Logan, Dean, L. Moore, Craig; Douglas, Diagouraga; Donaldson (sub Wright-Phillips 54 mins), Forshaw (sub Adams 75 mins), Dallas; Trotta

Subs (not used): Lee, Hodson, Adeyemi, Reeves, Hayes

Bookings: Dean (36 mins) (seventh of season), Wright-Phillips (87 mins) (fourth of season)

Attendance: 3,858 (254 Bees fans)

By Chris Wickham

Advertisement block