Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News


12 March 2013

Bees come from behind to win

Two goals in four second half minutes saw Brentford come from behind to beat fellow promotion-chasers Swindon Town.

The visitors went ahead in the first half and were good value for it but Clayton Donaldson won a penalty that Sam Saunders converted and then scored the winner moments later.

The Bees completed a double over the Wiltshire side with the 2-1 win and climbed to third in npower League One with the win.

The visitors started really well, they were able to find space in midfield and get runners breaking from deep to support lone striker Andy Williams.

Williams had an early shot blocked and Jay McEveley shot straight at Simon Moore from distance before the Brentford goalkeeper got down well to save an Aden Flint header.

While Swindon had the upper hand, two of those openings had come from corner and another from long range; they were not using their possession to open Brentford up.

And The Bees should have been ahead 20 minutes in – Stuart Dallas headed down, Donaldson worked his way past Darren Ward and had only Wes Foderingham to beat but the striker had a heavy touch and then toe-poked wide of the far post.

An Adam Rooney shot, again from a set piece, deflected wide and Dallas shot wide at the other end before Donaldson fired across the face of goal.

Brentford changed their shape midway through the first half, moving Donaldson up front to partner Marcello Trotta and switching to 4-4-2.

That seemed to give them a measure of control, Swindon’s attacking threat was certainly reduced and The Bees were on the front foot.

But they made a horrendous error to gift Swindon the lead.

Harlee Dean dithered when stepping out of defence and was robbed, the ball was worked to Simon Ferry and the midfield player fired unerringly in to the bottom corner from 15 yards.

It should have been worse seconds later when Dean failed to get a good enough connection on a header, Williams fed Gary Roberts and the wide man fired against the post from 18 yards when he really should have scored.

Brentford could have levelled moments later when Adam Forshaw delivered a corner that dropped loose after an aerial challenge; Jonathan Douglas got their first but could only turn his shot wide.

Flint headed wide for Swindon and a Forshaw shot deflected through to Foderingham but the visitors could have been out of sight by half time.

Williams could have profited from a poor Simon Moore kick but Liam Moore prevented him getting away and the Brentford goalkeeper redeemed himself by rushing out to save.

The Swindon striker went even closer in stoppage time, latching on to a Roberts pass and rounding Simon Moore but he was forced wide and Dean cleared the shot off the line.

Brentford tried to find an early response in the second half and if Forshaw had reacted to a Dallas cross he would have scored at the far post.

Swindon failed to deal with a corner soon after and just about managed to scramble the ball away as Dean, Douglas and Tony Craig tried to profit.

But the visitors came on strong again after Brentford’s bright beginning and went looking for the second goal that would probably have sealed the game.

They did have the ball in the net just past the hour mark when Alan McCormack headed home but he was adjudged to be offside.

Ferry volleyed over when a corner dropped loose and Simon Moore saved a flicked header from Ward before he kept out a shot from Adam Rooney.

Brentford Manager Uwe Rösler introduced Bradley Wright-Phillips and Saunders as The Bees sought an equaliser and they started to get the upper hand.

The game was being played more in Swindon territory, with the visitors looking to break when they could.

Wright-Phillips had a snap shot blocked before both substitutes had a hand in the equaliser.

Wright-Phillips set Donaldson in behind the Swindon back line; he raced away from McEveley and was brought down by Foderingham as he attempted to go round him.

Referee Stuart Atwell pointed to the spot but only gave the Swindon goalkeeper a yellow card, presumably because Donaldson had pushed the ball wide.

Saunders stepped up and lashed the penalty high in to the roof of the net.

Simon Moore had to get down well when an Adam Rooney cross hit Shaleum Logan and was heading towards goal but Brentford had renewed confidence after the goal and Saunders was leading the charge.

The wide man came within a whisker of putting Brentford in front with a curling free kick that beat Foderingham all ends up but cannoned away off the crossbar.

The Bees did not, however, have to wait long for their second goal.

Forshaw delivered a ball from the left, Tom Adeyemi nodded down and Donaldson lashed his 21st goal of the season past Foderingham to complete the turnaround.

Brentford went looking for the third goal that would seal the game and it took a brilliant save from Foderingham to deny Wright-Phillips when the striker met a Donaldson cross eight yards out.

Wright-Phillips had another shot blocked and a Donaldson effort deflected wide as Brentford kept pressing.

Foderingham made another wonderful save to deny Donaldson in the last minute, this time sticking out a hand to deny the striker when he lashed in a shot after picking up a poor Flint header.

Mr Attwell decided five minutes of stoppage time would be played and Swindon came again.

Simon Moore saved an Adam Rooney header and then dived bravely at the feet of the same man while a McEveley shot was blocked.

But Brentford held firm and took the win.

Brentford: S. Moore; Logan, Dean, L. Moore, Craig; Douglas, Adeyemi (sub Diagouraga 84 mins); Dallas (sub Saunders 56 mins), Forshaw, Donaldson; Trotta (sub Wright-Phillips 62 mins)

Subs (not used): Gounet, Bidwell, Reeves, Oyeleke

Bookings: L. Moore (42 mins), Logan (55 mins) (fifth of season), Wright-Phillips (90 mins) (fifth of season)

Swindon Town: Foderingham; N. Thompson, Flint, Ward, McEveley; A. Rooney, Miller (sub Collins 84 mins), Ferry, McCormack, Roberts (sub L. Rooney 79 mins); Williams (sub De Vita 89 mins)

Subs (not used): Bedwell, Devera, Navarro, L. Thompson

Bookings: Flint (54 mins), Foderingham (71 mins), N. Thompson (86 mins)

Attendance: 5,867 (1,553 away fans)

By Chris Wickham

Advertisement block