Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News


2 March 2013

Adeyemi gets crucial goal at Griffin Park

Tom Adeyemi scored with his first touch three minutes after coming on as a substitute as Brentford beat Scunthorpe United.

The midfield man scored the only goal of the game with 20 minutes remaining as Brentford extended their unbeaten npower League One run to five games.

Brentford’s attacking intent was obvious early on, they regularly got men beyond the ball in to advanced positions and looked to get plenty of players forward.

The Bees had the better of the match without quite being able to open Scunthorpe up until the later stages while the visitors were content to play on the break.

They came to Griffin Park with a defensive midfield player and full backs that rarely ventured forward and invited The Bees to break them down.

Brentford dominated possession and territory, as was to be expected, but Scunthorpe showed flashes of what they could do on the break and had chances of their own.

They could not, however, find a goal and Adeyemi’s strike was enough for The Bees.

Andy Barcham headed over for United early on before a Jimmy Ryan shot whistled narrowly over Simon Moore’s crossbar.

Shaleum Logan was given licence to get forward where possible and provided many of Brentford’s best moments.

He created a shooting opportunity for Harry Forrester early on that was quickly snuffed out and when he crossed to the far post soon after, Forrester again met the ball, only to see the volley saved.

Scunthorpe had a massive let off seven minutes in when a Jake Reeves pass dropped on the edge of the penalty area, goalkeeper Sam Slocombe handled outside his penalty area to prevent Bradley Wright-Phillips getting in but escaped with a yellow card when referee Philip Gibbs could have given a red.

Sam Saunders’ free kick deflected wide and from the resulting corner, Slocombe fumbled Marcello Trotta’s shot around the post.

A Trotta overhead deflected over and the striker then had a shot saved and volleyed against Wright-Phillips as Brentford pressed.

Eddie Nolan almost snatched a goal against the run of play when a run forward and exchange of passed with Barcham ended with the full back blasting over from 12 yards.

Josh Walker shot well over, Niall Canavan missed the target with a header and Simon Moore saved from Nolan again but Scunthorpe were defending far more than they were attacking.

Trotta bounced a shot wide before Logan and Forrester created a shooting opportunity than was quickly snuffed out by Canavan.

Forrester had a shot blocked and Wright-Phillips had one saved before a Reeves effort was blocked and a Jonathan Douglas header was deflected wide.

The ball was not quite running for The Bees in vital areas – when Douglas broke through just before half time, Canavan made half a tackle and the ball hit Wright-Phillips and rolled through to Slocombe.

Brentford would have gone in at half time believing a goal would come if they carried on doing what they were doing.

They had chances early in the second period – Trotta going closest with a curling shot that flew wide of the far post.

Douglas saw a shot saved when a corner was half cleared, a Saunders effort was blocked and Forrester shot wide.

Mark Duffy went close at the other end for Scunthorpe with a free kick that landed on the roof of the net but the second period was similar to the first – the visitors inviting Brentford to break them down.

Midway through the second half it looked as if they might struggle to do it but Manager Uwe Rösler introduced Adeyemi and Stuart Dallas and both had a part to play in the crucial goal.

Dallas played the ball in to Wright-Phillips, he got a cross in, Trotta laid it back and Adeyemi, with his first touch, slotted home.

The Bees then set about making the game safe, and keep Scunthorpe in their defensive areas.

A Douglas free kick was blocked, Logan fired over from distance and Wright-Phillips shot wide after swivelling to meet a Harlee Dean nod down.

They could have sealed the game on the break when Dallas charged away, he fed Trotta but the striker’s shot was saved by Slocombe.

Logan had a shot clocked after dribbling in to the box and a Trotta effort was deflected away after good work by Jake Bidwell.

Scunthorpe were not able to get the ball forward as often as they would like and a Karl Hawley shot blocked was all they could muster before Simon Moore palmed away a Mike Grella shot inside the final minute.

Adeyemi shot wide for Brentford while Duffy did likewise at the other end before a Dallas shot deflected over in the dying seconds.

Mr Gibbs added five minutes of stoppage time but Brentford spent most of that on the attack and clinched a vital three points.

Brentford: S. Moore; Logan, Dean, L. Moore, Craig; Saunders (sub Dallas 59 mins), Douglas, Reeves (sub Adeyemi 67 mins), Forrester (sub Bidwell 81 mins); Trotta, Wright-Phillips

Subs (not used): Lee, Diagouraga, Barron, Hayes

Bookings: Douglas (90 mins) (eighth of season)

Scunthorpe United: Slocombe; Nolan, Canavan, Mirfin, Newey; Collins; Duffy, Ryan, Walker (sub Alabi 74 mins), Barcham (sub Grella 80 mins); Hawley (sub Jennings 88 mins)

Subs (not used): Severn, Ribeiro, Godden, Adelakun

Bookings: Slocombe (8 mins)

Attendance: 5,400 (337 away fans)

By Chris Wickham

Advertisement block