Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News


2 February 2013

Somerset set back for Bees

Ed Upson scored a goal to remember as his Yeovil Town team picked up their second win of the season against Brentford.

The home side were one up against the run of play when the midfield player lashed an unstoppable shot in to the top corner from fully 30 yards.

That, added to Paddy Madden’s opener and a late goal from Dan Burn, meant Brentford were beaten in Yeovil for the fifth successive visit and gave the Somerset side a double over The Bees after they won 3-1 at Griffin Park in August.

A 3-0 home win looked a long way off in the first quarter when only Marek Stech in the home goal prevented Brentford being out of sight.

He made a series of wonderful saves to deny The Bees and, ultimately, they gave his team the points.

His first super stop came five minutes in when Clayton Donaldson’s lofted effort from 25 yards was pushed over the bar at full stretch.

When the resulting corner came in, Harry Forrester’s shot was cleared off the line by Byron Webster.

Donaldson cut in from the left and shot inches wide before the striker was put away when Tom Adeyemi and Forrester combined, he drew Stech and lifted the ball over him only to see the goalkeeper get a fingertip to it and divert it wide.

Stech made another superb low save when Adeyemi dribbled past three defenders and shot low.

That the midfield player was able to keep the ball under control for ten seconds was a credit to him.

The pitch, which looked heavy to the eye on arrival, cut up within seconds of the kick off and resembled a horse racing track by half time.

Passing the ball confidently was impossible and Brentford were able to get at their hosts with balls in to the channels, however, Yeovil started to grow in to the game as the half wore on.

Tony Craig blocked a Kevin Dawson shot and Simon Moore denied Upson when the midfield player shot from 20 yards.

Brentford also had a couple of decent penalty appeals waved away in the first quarter by referee James Linington.

First a Forrester cross hit the arm of Jamie McAllister and then when Burn climbed all over Donaldson when an Adam Forshaw cross came in.

But with Brentford unable to get ahead, they were punished just past the half hour.

Craig went to clear a long ball forward and it hit Dawson, the ball broke kindly to Madden and the Yeovil striker dinked the ball over Moore and in to the far corner.

Forrester could have equalised immediately when a Jake Bidwell free kick broke kindly to him but his low shot was sensationally saved by Stech.

Mr Linington waved away more penalty appeals when Donaldson was challenged by Webster and went over and Stech saved a low Forshaw shot soon after.

But Yeovil were starting to get in behind Brentford as the game stretched before half time and Moore had to get down well to save a Burn header.

The Brentford goalkeeper was again in the action when Sam Foley set up Dawson to stop the low shot but he could do nothing to keep out Upson’s pile driver four minutes before the break.

Rob Kiernan dragged a shot wide as Brentford sought a response but they could have been three down before the break.

Dawson beat Bidwell to a ball forward but his shot was blocked, Madden’s follow-up was saved by Moore and Bidwell and Craig combined to prevent Foley scoring from close range.

Madden had a pair of shots blocked before the break as Yeovil started to dominate and The Bees would have welcomed the half time whistle.

Manager Uwe Rösler brought on Marcello Trotta at the break and Sam Saunders soon after as he attempted to get something out of the game.

But there was less flow to the game after the break and fewer chances.

Yeovil went close early in the second period as James Hayter shot over and Madden and Upson also missed the target.

A Jonathan Douglas headed was scrambled away when Brentford attacked and Saunders shot wide from distance.

Trotta almost got in behind the home side but McAllister made a superb saving tackle.

Brentford held the upper hand as the minutes ticked down but couldn’t get the goal to give themselves a chance of a point.

A powerful Douglas shot was blocked and Paul Hayes’ follow-up was saved before Saunders shot over when Yeovil couldn’t fully clear a free kick.

In the build-up to the Saunders shot the ball appeared to strike the arm of Webster but Mr Linington again said there was no infringement.

Luke Ayling curled a shot narrowly wide on a Yeovil break and Donaldson headed wide for Brentford before the hosts sealed it with seven minutes remaining.

McAllister delivered a free kick and Burn met it expertly on the volley eight yards out, his placement and power gave Moore no chance.

Shaleum Logan cleared a Kwesi Appiah header off the line and Foley shot wide as a bad afternoon threatened to get worse for The Bees.

But 3-0 was how it finished and Brentford again headed back from Huish Park with nothing to show from their trip.

Yeovil Town: Stech; Ayling, Webster, Burn, McAllister; Dawson, Dolan (sub Edwards 24 mins), Upson (sub Blizzard 82 mins), Foley; Madden, Hayter (sub Appiah 74 mins)

Subs (not used): Stewart, Hinds, Williams, Young

Bookings: Upson (40 mins), McAllister (80 mins)

Brentford: Moore; Logan, Dean, Craig, Bidwell; Kiernan (sub Saunders 60 mins); Forshaw (sub Trotta h/t), Douglas, Adeyemi, Forrester (sub Hayes 72 mins); Donaldson

Subs (not used): Lee, Hodson, Barron, Diagouraga

Bookings: Logan (29 mins) (fifth of season)

Attendance: 4,105 (643 Bees fans)

By Chris Wickham

Advertisement block