Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News


8 December 2013

Alan Kernaghan said he thought Brentford would beat Carlisle United after equalising in second half

Alan Kernaghan said it was disappointing for Brentford to exit the FA Cup with Budweiser at the Second Round stage.

The Bees were beaten 3-2 by Carlisle United at Brunton Park yesterday afternoon.

Alan, speaking to the press after the match, said The Bees did not start well but were better after the break.

Carlisle went ahead late in the first half but Brentford dominated after the break and levelled just past the hour mark.

Alan said he felt Brentford would go on to win but Carlisle came back strong and scored twice in four minutes to take the game.

A late Farid El Alagui goal was not enough to earn The Bees a replay.

Alan took charge of Brentford as Uwe Rösler left his position as manager hours before kick-off to take up the same position at Wigan Athletic.

“We didn’t really start the game as well as I would have hoped,” said Alan.

“We had a lot of pressure at the end but Carlisle did very well.

“Their tactics worked.

“They were hard to play against earlier in the season at our place in a 0-0 draw and showed similar today.

“The first goal was always going to be important.

“They got it.

“It’s disappointing

“I thought we did well in the second half and at 1-1 I thought we were going to build on it.

“I thought they would tire, but they pushed on again.”

Alan, who was Uwe’s assistant at Brentford, said The Bees were flat in the first half and conceded a goal at an “annoying” time.

James Berrett scored it from 20 yards in first half stoppage time.

“We started a bit flat, didn’t have the energy level and the efforts at goal we usually do,” he said.

“Carlisle’s tactics had something to do with that.

“They let us have the ball at the back, were compact in midfield.

“The first goal was annoying.

“It was close to half time, we gave the boy an extra yard or two.

“It was a great finish but we could have done better.”

Alan said he felt Brentford were on top when they equalised but Carlisle found extra energy.

“We came in to the game after the break and created one or two good efforts,” he said.

“We were getting on top of the game, got the goal and Carlisle seemed to reenergise.

“They got back in to it.

“It was difficult at 3-1 but the last ten minutes we were very good and put them under pressure.

“After we scored the first goal I thought we would win.

“We were on top, we had them pinned back.

“I thought they would not have had that reaction.

“You have to give Carlisle credit but we look at ourselves.

“We didn’t reach the peaks we have done over the past eight or nine weeks.”

Alan said he found out he was to take the team six hours before kick-off.

He said Club Owner Matthew Benham and Sporting Director Mark Warburton wanted things to go on as normal and they largely did.

He said he did not know what would happen next.

“I found out I would be in charge at about 8.45 this morning,” said Alan.

“Uwe spoke to me and that had been the plan with the owner and Mark Warburton.

“It was the plan that things would go on as normal.

“And apart from Uwe not being in the dressing room, that was how it went.

“I don’t know how things will go.

“At the moment I go as normal.”

Alan said he would take the positives from the situation and look forward to a new challenge with a change of manager.

He said the players were positive about after the defeat and were looking ahead to the Sky Bet League One game against Oldham Athletic next week.

“With experience, you take the positives and look forward to the challenge,” said Alan.

“When you are younger and maybe it happens to you for the first time, you can be unsure about what to do.

“The players were very positive at the end of the game.

“The staff tried to be positive towards them before the game.

“They have to get on with things, kick on and rebound for the next game.”

Alan said the man that came in as manager would be lucky to have the group of players at Brentford.

The cup defeat was Brentford’s first since mid-October and ended a nine match unbeaten run, eight of which were wins.

He said the Club structure, with a Sporting Director and a staff not linked to the First Team Manager would help with what was to come.

“The staff around the First Team will carry on,” said Alan.

“It helps the changeover for the whole club.

“The same people you have known for the past two and a half years will be there.

“There is a fantastic bunch of players, who have been magnificent since I have been here.

“I imagine they will carry on.

“It is a lucky manager that will come in with these players, their attitude and the performances they can provide.

“Often you take a job on a downward spiral.

“It is an upward spiral for us.”

A full post-match video interview with Alan Kernaghan is available here for Bees Player subscribers.

Advertisement block