Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News


31 August 2013

Bees leave it late to earn point against Seagulls

Bradley Clayton scored a 97th minute equalizer as Brentford fought back from 2-0 down to earn a deserved point against Brighton & Hove Albion at Jersey Road. 
The Seagulls led 2-0 after half an hour thanks to goals from Charlie Harris and Rob Deen before Kojo Awotwi pulled one back with a fine strike on the stroke of half-time. 
The Bees threw everything at the visitors in the second-half but it looked to no avail until Clayton turned home James Ferry's free-kick in the seventh minute of added time to secure a point for The Bees. 
Jeremy Steele made four changes from the side that drew away at Charlton last time out with Clayton, Fumnaya Shomotun, George Pilbeam and Zain Westbrooke replacing Seika Jatta, Lewis Lavender, Courtney Senior and Ferry.
Brighton started the game brightly in the warm sunshine, with Deen and Matt Benham forcing regulation saves out of Joe Taylor before Conor Pring fired wide from distance. 
The Seagulls had the ball in the back of the net on the quarter-hour but Ben Barclay was adjudged to have been offside when he headed home Jordan Drew's free-kick. 
However, they did take the lead five minutes later as Harris was afforded the freedom of the Brentford half before firing a shot from 30 yards which squirmed under Taylor and into the back of the net. 
Brentford could have equalised straight from the kick-off but Makhosini Khanye's shot was well blocked and the danger eventually cleared. 
The opening goal had definitely stirred The Bees into action as Montell Moore fired a free-kick over the bar from 25 yards and Shomotun shot straight at Christian Walton, before Clayton again tested Walton from the angle. 
However, they were then hit with a sucker punch as Jimmy Muitt and Jason Davis combined well, the latter's cross being spilled by Taylor for Deen to slot home from five yards. 
The Bees again tried to hit back as Khanye fired over and Moore tested Walton while Harris nearly grabbed his second for Brighton but this time Taylor saved his long-range effort easily. 
With seconds remaining of the first-half The Bees got back into the game with a fantastic team goal - Pilbeam battled well in the middle to win the ball back and find Awotwi, he played a one-two with Moore before slamming an un-stoppable curling effort past Walton.
Brentford almost equalised straight from the kick-off in the second-half as excellent play between Moore, Awotwi and Tom Field led to Clayton heading wide from six yards. 
Jeremy's side dominated the opening stages of the second-half, Clayton shooting straight at Walton before Will Collar got back to make a vital block tackle as Westbrooke looked poised to level the scores.
The Seagulls were being limited to playing on the counter-attack and a Deen shot was their sole effort of the opening twenty minutes of the second-half. 
At the other end Westbrooke cut across a volley causing it to fly harmlessly wide before Moore blazed a shot over the bar from a tight angle with Bees players lining up for the cut-back. 
Brighton had a golden chance to make the game safe when Drew's corner found its way through to Deen, but the striker, perhaps surprised the ball had reached him, could only prod straight at Taylor from eight yards. 
Clayton and Moore both has efforts on goal from distance as The Bees continued to press for the equalising goal with the game entering the final quarter of an hour. 
The Bees had the ball in the back of the net, five minutes later but Clayton's composed finish was ruled out for offside much to the home side's annoyance. 
The visitors should have made the game safe as Drew and Muitt combined well on the left before Davis's shot took a deflection and bounced off the bar, Drew tried to fire home the rebound but he had strayed offside. 
Less than a minute later Cameron Wilshire forced Taylor to turn his shot behind before a moment of real controversy looked to have denied Brentford a point. 
Clayton was fouled on the edge of the area but the ball ran perfectly to an unmarked Ferry who slotted home, only for the referee to pull play back for the earlier offence. 
From the subsequent free-kick Moore saw two efforts blocked and it looked like The Bees chance had passed. 
However, in the seventh minute of added time The Bees got their deserved equaliser as Ferry's long free-kick dropped perfectly for Clayton to stab home from eight yards to give Jeremy's side a share of the spoils. 

Brentford Youth Team: Joe Taylor; Kojo Awotwi, Gradi Milenge, Daniel Webster; Tom Field; George Pilbeam (sub James Ferry 61 mins); Makhosini Khanye (sub Sieka Jatta h/t), Fumnaya Shomotun (sub Richard Bryan 34 mins); Zain Westbrooke; Montell Moore, Bradley Clayton
Subs not used: Nik Tzanez, Fabian Rowe,
Brighton & Hove Albion Youth Team: Christian Walton; Jason Davis, Jamie Horncastle, Ben Barclay, Jordan Drew; Jimmy Muitt, Matt Benham, Will Collar, Charlie Harris; Rob Deen, Conor Pring (sub Cameron Wilshire 54 mins)
Subs not used: Olly Wray, Dylan Lall, Josh Courtney

Advertisement block