Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News


1 September 2012

Brentford fight back from two goals down with five minutes left to draw at The Bank's Stadium.

A remarkable comeback from Brentford saw two goals in the last five minutes as The Bees salvaged a draw when it looked as if Uwe Rösler’s side were returning to West London empty handed.

Jonathan Douglas’s shot from outside the box began the fight back and with the game heading for added-on time Clayton Donaldson’s header beat Grof in the Walsall goal to the delight of the travelling supporters behind the goal

It was no least than the visitors deserved but they left it late and may reflect on chances squandered before that allowed The Saddlers a two-goal advantage.

Brentford remained unchanged from last week’s 5-1 win over Crewe Alexandra so new midweek signings Jake Bidwell and Tom Adeyemi were give a place on the bench, with Simon Moore preferred in goal to the fit-again Richard Lee.

Brentford, as has been the case throughout the games this season, started the brighter but it was Walsall that created the first opportunity in the seventh minute.

Flo Cuvelier tested Moore with a fierce drive but the Brentford goalkeeper tipped the ball over for a corner.

It was the only chance in the opening quarter as both sides struggled to maintain their consistency in passing or creating opportunities.

Brentford stepped up the pressure and created three good chances within a 90 second period mid-way through the half.

A Shay Logan cross met the head of Jonathan Douglas but the ball was headed over; seconds later a superb Clayton Donaldson run gave him a one-on-one opportunity but his touch from a Farid El Alagui lay off was poor.

Seconds later Donaldson shot just wide with The Saddlers rocking.

Shay Logan was caught further up the pitch; and with Saunders being bundled off the ball near the corner flag – fairly – the resulting cross from Hemmings found Jamie Paterson, who fired past Moore to open the scoring

Sixty seconds later The Saddlers doubled their lead.

Defender Tony Craig slipped over with striker George Bowerman advancing; he came in from the right hand side, calmly strode forward and stroked the ball past Simon Moore.

The Bees offered little in response after the two goals; so Rösler made his first change - Adam Forshaw replacing Toumani Diagouraga before half-time.

Early second half pressure, particularly from Forshaw’s right wing corners, were closed out and Walsall had the first chance of the half, Will Grigg’s 52nd minute shot deflected away by O’Connor for a corner.

Forshaw’s cross was pin point for Donaldson but his header was off-target and didn’t work the goalkeeper.

The visitors continued their dominance but had little to show in terms of chances on target.

With time ticking Paul Hayes replaced Kevin O’Connor in the 65th minute to give The Bees three frontmen.

Four minutes later Bees striker Farid El Alagui cracked the top of the cross bar; great movement from the Moroccan gave him the opportunity as he swivelled and shot.

Will Grigg almost put the game out of reach moments later but the striker stooped down and headed over the bar a yard from goal.

The Bees hopes of getting something out of the game seemed to be petering out, having created a lot of chances but with little penetration, Brentford fought back with the two goals that seemed so unlikely with six minutes left on the clock.

Brentford: Moore; Logan, Craig, Dean, Barron (sub Bidwell 76 mins); Saunders, O'Connor (sub Hayes 65 mins), Douglas, Diagouraga (sub Forshaw 37 mins); Donaldson, El Alagui

Subs (not used): Lee, Adeyemi, Forrester, Legge

Walsall: Grof; Purkiss, Butler, Holden, A.Taylor; Featherstone, Cuvelier, Paterson (sub Downing 89 mins ); Hemmings (sub Baxendale 74 mins); Bowerman (sub Williams 82 mins ), Grigg

Subs (not used): C. Taylor, Jones, Williams, Walker

Attendance: 3,434 (469 Bees fans)

By Mark Chapman

Advertisement block