Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News


22 September 2012

Barnet win battle of the Bees at Jersey Road

Louis Lancaster's young Bees side are still looking for their first league victory after going down 3-1 to their north London rivals at Jersey Road.
It was a familiar story for the young Bees as defensive errors cost them dear against a Barnet side which they dominated for long periods.
Goals from Tanasheh Abrahams and Moses Duckrell had given Barnet a 2-0 lead before Myles Hippolyte halved the arrears just before half-time. The Bees pressed in the second half but couldn't find a leveller and were then punished with 20 minutes to go as Ishmael Thomas fired home to secure the win for Barnet.
The Brentford side showed four changes from last week at Cardiff with Max Herbert starting at left-back in place of Ryan Makhosini and Richard Bryan in at right-back. George Pilbeam moved forward to the right side of midfield and Lewis Lavender and Chelsea work experience loanee Walter Figueira replaced Montell Moore and Fabian Rowe in midfield.
Barnet started the game brightly and struck the woodwork within the opening two minutes. Alfie Cain was found by James Charles and his effort from 10 yards was helped onto the bar by Taylor in the Brentford goal. 
Brentford had heeded Lancaster's call after the Cardiff game to play higher in the opposition half as they pressurised the Barnet back four and goalkeeper whenever they were in possession.
This nearly paid off after five minutes when Hippolyte dispossessed Thomas and hit a first time shot that was beaten away by Jack Stevens in the Barnet goal.
Despite their bright start Barnet were increasingly under the cosh as the half ticked on. Stevens presented the ball straight to Hippolyte but the Barnet keeper was able to recover and smother the danger.
After good work from Figueira on the right, Max Herbert flashed a cross along the six-yard box which just evaded Josh Stockwell.
Next it was Figueira's turn to go close himself for Brentford. Following good interplay on the right between Bryan and Pilbeam the Chelsea man saw his low effort beaten out again by Stevens. 
However, it was Barnet who took the lead on 18 minutes. Abrahams caught Michael Onovwigun dithering on the ball on the edge of the box and was left with the simple task of rolling the ball past Taylor from twelve yards.
Despite the set-back the home side continued to dominate. Figueira saw a fizzing 25 yard effort turned round the post before he turned provider for Hippolyte who then saw his shot fly over the bar.
Hippolyte then wasted a golden chance to level on the half-hour. A deep free-kick from the left wasn't cleared and it fell to Hippolyte on the penalty spot but his snatched effort was pulled a yard wide of Stevens' upright.
Barnet doubled their lead after 35 minutes when Moses Duckrell was the first to react after Joe Taylor had turned Kamal Guthmy's fierce free-kick onto the post.
The second goal temporarily knocked the stuffing out of the Bees and they should have fallen further behind just a minute later. Onovwigun was again caught by Abrahams but this time the Barnet midfielder missed the target from twelve yards. 
Pilbeam was then dispossessed in the middle by Duckrell who forced Taylor into another smart save from distance.
Brentford were given hope on the stroke of half-time as Hippolyte fired into the bottom corner from level with the penalty spot after good work down the right.
The goal came at a good time for the home side and they came out much the stronger in the second half.
Barnet were struggling to get out of their own half as Brentford searched for an equaliser.
Hippolyte signalled the Bees intent by firing a shot over from 30 yards before Stockwell hit an effort off the bar from distance which had Stevens in the Barnet goal grasping at thin air.
Centre-back Stefan Tomasevic then got on the end of a Lewis Lavender free-kick but he was unable to get much power on his header from 12 yards.
Moore replaced Stockwell for Brentford with an hour gone but his first impact could have seen Barnet grab a third. He lost the ball on the edge of the Barnet box and the away side broke and Taylor had to be alert to save at the feet of Barnet sub Eva Batousol.
Brentford then had a shout for a penalty turned down as Onovwigun's burst into the box was ended by Charles but the referee thought the Barnet man took enough of the ball. 
Barnet killed off the game with 20 minutes remaining when centre-back Thomas hammered home from five yards after Taylor had spilled a James Charles free-kick from the right-hand touchline. 
The game was then held up for a considerable period after Tomasevic accidently caught Thomas in the face with a stray boot. 
The Barnet centre-half was substituted moments later but despite this loss at the back Barnet comfortably saw out the last 10 minutes to record their first points of the season. 

Brentford:  Joe Taylor; Richard Bryan, Lionel Stone, Stefan Tomasevic, Max Herbert (sub Fabian Rowe 80); George Pilbeam, Lewis Lavender, Michael Onovwigun, Walter Figueira; Myles Hippolyte, Josh Stockwell (sub Montell Moore 60)
Subs (not used): Daniel Bedford
Barnet: Jack Stevens; O'Neal Rowe, Ishmael Thomas (sub Valentine Placide 80 mins), Zac Khan, Kamal Guthmy; James Charles, Justin Marrah, Tanasheh Abrahams, Alfie Cain (sub Ryan Sellers 58); Moses Duckrell (sub Eva Batousol 60 mins), Shaq Hippolyte
Subs (not used): Travonn St Leonce, Fraser Stevens 

Advertisement block