Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News


13 October 2012

Spoils shared at Glanford Park

A Harry Forrester goal was not enough to give Brentford their first away win of the season against Scunthorpe United.

The wide man put The Bees in front towards the end of the first half after Clayton Donaldson had missed a penalty.

But Scunthorpe equalised against the run of play inside the final 15 minutes and earned a share of the spoils.

The first half hour did not produce much to write home about – there were few chances and neither team were able to put together too many good moves in the final third.

The game did improve and Brentford will feel they did enough to win it but did not do so.

Scunthorpe had the first chances – Leon Clarke had the best when he blazed over after bursting through while Jonathan Douglas blocked a Mark Duffy shot and Jimmy Ryan lashed over – but they were by no means on top.

It took Brentford a little while to get in to their flow but by the midway point of the first half they were dominating possession and starting to turn territory in to chances.

Toumani Diagouraga shot over after a nice turn and Donaldson headed a Jake Bidwell cross wide.

The Bees had a golden chance to take the lead when Donaldson got in behind the home defence and his curling shot hit the hands of David Mirfin.

A penalty was awarded by referee Trevor Kettle after consultation with an assistant but Donaldson pulled the spot kick wide of Sam Slocombe’s right hand post.

Despite the miss, Brentford had the initiative and by half time they had the lead.

Donaldson had another opening when he robbed Tom Newey and headed towards goal but he shot in to the side netting.

The game opened up a little as half time approached – Shaleum Logan brought a save out of Slocombe with a curling shot and moments later The Bees were in front.

Donaldson brought the ball down on the left and fed it inside to Forrester, he worked his way past two before beating Niall Canavan and slotting past Slocombe as the keeper rushed out.

Scunthorpe also had chances towards the end of the half – Simon Moore had to get down well to hold on to a Clarke header and when the next cross came in, the Scunthorpe striker was not able to profit when the Brentford goalkeeper dropped it.

The home side started the second half well – Bidwell made an important block from a Mike Grella header and Moore made fine low save from a Duffy shot.

But Brentford were soon on top and seeking a second goal that would give them breathing space.

Forrester curled a free kick in to a defensive wall and then brought a save out of Slocombe with a low effort.

Slocombe saved at the feet of Hayes and Diagouraga fired inches wide from 18 yards after picking up a Douglas pass.

The Scunthorpe goalkeeper tipped a Harlee Dean header over the bar and Douglas lashed over before Newey made a vital block from a Donaldson effort.

Scunthorpe had hardly been in the game – Tony Craig made a couple of blocks from Connor Jennings shots and Clarke pulled a shot wide – but they levelled with 13 minutes remaining.

Duffy found space on the right and lifted a ball in to the middle for Clarke to nod home.

Brentford reacted to the sucker punch and set about trying to win the game.

They were given a boost when Mirfin, who was booked when the penalty was awarded, hacked down Douglas and was given his marching orders by Mr Kettle.

The Bees had chances – Forrester and Sam Saunders lifted efforts over and Diagouraga shot wide after great work by Donaldson.

Tom Adeyemi and Donaldson had shots blocked late on as Brentford tried without success to take all three points.

Brentford: Moore; Logan, Dean, Craig, Bidwell; Forshaw (sub Adeyemi 80 mins), Diagouraga, Douglas, Forrester (sub Dallas 87 mins); Donaldson, Hayes (sub Saunders 72 mins)

Subs (not used): Lee, O’Connor, Legge, Barron

Scunthorpe United: Slocombe; Ribeiro, Mirfin (sub Kennedy 87 mins), Canavan, Newey; Duffy, Prutton, Gibbons, Ryan; Clarke, Grella (sub Jennings 60 mins)

Subs (not used): Severn, Walker, Barcham, Keegan, Sedgwick

Bookings: Ryan (38 mins)

Sent Off: Mirfin (86 mins) (second bookable offence)

Attendance: 3,008 (195 Bees fans)

By Chris Wickham

Advertisement block