Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News


20 October 2012

Bees beaten by two late goals

Brentford let a 1-0 lead slip to lose 2-1 to Doncaster Rovers.

The Bees went ahead just before half time as Jonathan Douglas finished superbly but were hit by two goals in the final 15 minutes.

The home side had been second best by a long way but David Cotterill smashed in an equaliser and Billy Paynter won it with five minutes remaining.

Brentford were on top for most of the first period but it took until 90 seconds from the end of the opening 45 for them to take the lead.

The goal when it came was fantastic – Adam Forshaw burst clear from midfield and picked Douglas, breaking from deep, who ran on to the through ball and fired it past Gary Woods and in off the crossbar.

The lead was no more than Brentford deserved; they pushed the home side back for most of the first half.

Clayton Donaldson, playing a lone role up front, pulled the home defence all over the place and created room for the midfield to play.

He almost created a goal out of nothing early on when he robbed Doncaster goalkeeper Gary Woods but he could not turn it home.

Tony Craig dragged a shot wide after a corner was half cleared and Harry Forrester missed the target from distance before Harlee Dean tested Gary Woods with a 25-yard shot.

Brentford were dominating possession and territory and Doncaster’s attacks were few and far between.

The visitors were swamping the midfield and Doncaster could get nothing going.

Simon Moore was called in to action to save a weak Tommy Spurr shot and then a bobbling Chris Brown effort and a curling Cotterill free kick.

Doncaster’s best chance of the half came when Cotterill broke down the right and crossed, Martin Woods could not convert and when the ball broke to Kyle Bennett, he shot over from ten yards.

But those attacks were mainly on the break – Forrester had a shot blocked for The Bees and Craig was unable to turn in a deep corner before a Donaldson flicked header was blocked.

Brentford almost went ahead when Donaldson reacted quickest to reach a weak Shelton Martis back pass but he toe-ended the ball inches wide with Gary Woods rushing out.

It looked as if The Bees would go in level but Douglas struck just before the break to give the visitors the advantage.

Doncaster were more positive after the break and had more possession in Brentford’s half but The Bees had the better openings in the first half of the second period.

A Forrester shot was blocked and a Forshaw effort bounced narrowly wide before Tom Adeyemi missed the target when connecting with a Jake Bidwell cut back.

Rob Jones had a chance to equalise but headed an Iain Hume cross over and Craig blocked a Martin Woods shot but it was Brentford that held the upper hand.

Donaldson shot over at the near post after good work by Toumani Diagouraga and was then well tackled by Paul Quinn as he looked to break clear.

Douglas had a shot blocked before a Forrester shot was blocked, Diagouraga miss-kicked as he attempted to put it in and Adeyemi sliced it wide.

A low Forshaw effort was held by the goalkeeper and a Douglas shot was blocked as Brentford tried to make the game safe.

But they were hit by a sucker punch when Cotterill picked the ball up and blasted an unstoppable shot past Moore from 30 yards.

The goal came against the run of play and Doncaster visibly grew.

Bennett shot wide and Dean made a fine recovery tackle to deny Paynter but the winner came seconds later.

Brentford failed to deal with a quick corner and couldn’t clear their lines, Martin Woods delivered the ball in and Paynter rose to head in.

The Bees could not find a response and Doncaster took the points.

Doncaster Rovers: Gary Woods; Quinn, Jones, Martis (sub Syers 56 mins), Spurr; Cotterill, Martin Woods, Harper, Bennett; Hume (sub Blake 80 mins), Brown (sub Paynter 63 mins)

Subs (not used): Sullivan, Ball, Michael Woods, Keegan

Bookings: Syers (90 mins)

Brentford: Moore; Logan, Dean, Craig, Bidwell (sub Legge 59 mins); Diagouraga; Forshaw (sub O’Connor 72 mins), Douglas, Adeyemi (sub Dallas 78 mins), Forrester; Donaldson

Subs (not used): Lee, Barron, Hayes, Spencer

Attendance: 6,555 (532 Bees fans)

By Chris Wickham

Advertisement block