Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News


3 November 2012

Bees progress in FA Cup

First half goals from Clayton Donaldson and Harry Forrester were enough for Brentford to win their FA Cup with Budweiser First Round tie.

The Bees travelled to Blue Square Bet South Boreham Wood looking to avoid a cup upset and never really looked like being the victims of one.

The home side started well but Donaldson opened the scoring and Forrester snuffed out any chance the non-league side had just before the break.

The Bees could have won by more than those two goals as they dominated the second period.

But their 2-0 win was enough to seal a spot in the Second Round draw.

The hosts started brightly and had early sights of the Brentford goal – David Hutton shot over and Cliff Akurang was just unable to head home a Mauro Vilhete cross.

Mark Jones’ hopeful ball forward flew narrowly over and Richard Lee got down well to keep out a low Graeme Montgomery shot as Boreham Wood had the better of the early stages.

But Brentford soon found their stride and started to work the home defence.

A low Forrester shot was saved and when a corner was half cleared, Tony Craig’s shot was blocked, as was a follow up by Donaldson and goalkeeper James Russell got down well to hold Tom Adeyemi’s ball in.

Jones made an important tackle to stop Paul Hayes scoring before Donaldson was unable to turn in an Adam Forshaw cross at the far post.

The goal Brentford had been threatening came just past the quarter hour – the visitors broke after Lee saved a deflected Vilhete shot and Donaldson was released in the inside left channel, he cut inside and drilled a shot across Russell and in to the far corner.

Donaldson shot just wide from a Hayes pass and Jonathan Douglas fired a free kick from 30 yards against the crossbar but Boreham Wood responded well to going behind.

Omar Riza fired in to the side netting after twisting in the box and Lee saved at the feet of Cliff Akurang.

Lee made a great save when Legge inadvertently headed a Hutton cross towards his own goal but the defender was more in control when blocking a Montgomery cross.

A Forrester cross was blocked and a Donaldson header was saved as a real end-to-end cup tie developed.

Brentford had appeals for a penalty when a Donaldson cross appeared to strike the arm of Callum Reynolds but referee Rob Lewis waved away the appeals and Boreham Wood broke, Riza cut inside and curled a shot against the crossbar.

Ben Nunn fired well over but the hosts visibly tired towards the end of the first period.

A Douglas shot was blocked, as was one from Kevin O’Connor, and Brentford grabbed their second before the break.

Adeyemi won the ball in midfield and fantastic one-touch passes from Douglas, Donaldson and Hayes set up Forrester to score from ten yards.

Donaldson headed a corner wide in first half stoppage time and Boreham Wood would have been glad to hear the half time whistle.

But that was only brief respite for the hosts; Brentford came out after half time and completely dominated.

The Bees had all the ball and their constant switching of play, along with sharp intricate passing, cut the home side open.

A Forrester free kick curled just wide before a Craig header from a corner was well saved and Donaldson was unable to force the loose ball home.

Forshaw set Donaldson free soon after but Russell saved well and did even better to keep out Hayes’ follow up effort on the turn.

Russell saved again from a Legge header and then a Forshaw shot while an Adeyemi effort was blocked.

It was turning in to a one-man show for the hosts as Russell denied Brentford again and again.

He kept out a Forshaw shot and then made a wonderful fingertip save to touch a Donaldson headed on a post.

Forrester shot wide and Russell held a looping Donaldson header before a Douglas effort drifted inches wide.

The home side offered nothing after the break except a Hutton free kick that flew miles over and a low Greg Morgan shot that was easy for Lee.

And they never really looked like finding a way back in to the game.

Brentford had late chances to add a third – Sam Saunders shot narrowly wide before Forshaw missed the target with a trio of efforts and an Adeyemi shot was blocked – but did not need it to progress.

Boreham Wood: Russell; Nunn, Jefford, Reynolds, Jones; Vilhete, Isaac, Montgomery, Hutton (sub Morgan 63 mins); Akurang, Riza (sub Effiong 67 mins)

Subs (not used): Effiong, Morgan, Noto, Scott-Morris, Close, Hastings, Baker-Owers

Bookings: Reynolds (31 mins), Jones (46 mins)

Brentford: Lee; O’Connor, Legge (sub Dean 84 mins), Craig, Bidwell; Forshaw, Douglas, Adeyemi, Forrester (sub Dallas 75 mins); Hayes (sub Saunders 81 mins), Donaldson

Subs (not used): Moore, Barron, Diagouraga, German

Attendance: 1,495

By Chris Wickham

Advertisement block