Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News


26 July 2012

Brentford Secure Junior Section Crown

Brentford's Under-15 side have won the Milk Cup for the first time after they beat Everton 2-0 in the Final this afternoon in Ballymena, Northern Ireland.

The Toffees had won three out of the last four Junior Section Finals of the prestigious competition but could not extend that run..

It is the first time Brentford have won the tournament, and they have done so at only the third attempt.

The first year of entry, in 2010, saw The Bees finish 23rd out of 24 teams; last year they attained sixth place but this year they have won the Milk Cup in its 30th anniversary.

Goals on five minutes from Herson Alves and a penalty kick on 45 minutes from James Ferry completed the scoring.

It was a deserved victory, watched by Club owner Matthew Benham, and was testament to the efforts the boys and staff have put into the entire week

Brentford started the game brightly with Seika Jatta firing a long range effort just over the bar.

Moments later Jatta was in the thick of the action again, when he fed team mate Courtney Senior, but the young striker's shot was saved low down by the keeper.

The Bees took the lead after four minutes when Ferry slipped in a delightful ball to Alves, who composed himself before firing the ball into the far corner of the net.

Both sides look tired and there was very little in terms of chances created.

The closest The Toffees came was four minutes before the interval.

A cross into the box was headed against Jordan Carey's bar and bounced around the area dangerously before Jordan Watson smashed the ball away to safety.

Everton almost equalised minutes after the restart when The Bees failed to clear the ball.

The Everton striker stabbed his foot at the ball but full back Ben Peden came from nowhere to head off the line and away for a corner.

Brentford gave themselves breathing space half way through the second half.

Senior picked up the ball on the halfway line and ran at the defence, as he entered the area he was clearly fouled and the referee had little option other than to award the spot kick.

Captain Tom Ferry took responsibility and fired the ball clinically past the keeper.

Reece Cole, who was immense throughout the tournament, then had a free kick which the keeper saved.

Everton looked a beaten side after a tiring week.

The closest they came was in injury time - a cross into the box was headed goalwards but The Bees defence were there to clear off the line once again and earn Brentford the prestigious youth trophy.

Ose Aibangee, Brentford's Director of Youth, was delighted with his side's victory.

"It was a fantastic effort by the players to beat Everton in the Milk Cup Final," he said.

"In the end I thought it was fully deserved victory.

"Both teams were tired after giving it all throughout the tournament.

"The game was a little scrappy.

"We created more chances than Everton and deserved the victory in the end."

Brentford: Jordan Carey; Jordan Watson (sub Romayn Pennant 58 mins), Daniel Webster, Audrius Laucys, Ben Peden; James Ferry, Herson Rodiguez Alves, Reece Cole, Bradley Clayton (sub Rimelle Straker h/t); Courtney Senior, Seika Jatta (sub Mikael Bongili 38 mins (sub Courtney Austin 52 mins))

Subs (not used): Jake Lewis, Tom Field, Andrew Mills.

Everton: James Talbot; Charlie Edge, James Graham, Jon Joe Kenny, Reece McNally, Ryan Ledson, George Newell, Callum Connolly, Kieran Dowell, Liam Walsh, Michael Donohue

Subs: A Robinson, Tyrone Duffus, Deliel Brewster, Matthew York, Joseph Yarney, Jamie Young, Spencer Myers

By Robert Trand

Advertisement block