Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News


21 August 2012

Bees beaten as Hayter at the double

James Hayter scored twice for Yeovil Town as they handed Brentford a defeat in their first home game of the 2012/13 season.

The Bees fell behind early on but responded well and deserved to be level when Clayton Donaldson scored after the break.

The visitors were rocking and were indebted to goalkeeper Marek Stech on numerous occasions, no more than when he saved a Paul Hayes penalty.

Hayter scored soon after and Tony Craig compounded Brentford’s misery with a late own goal to make it 3-1.

The visitors started brightly and could have been ahead inside the first 15 minutes.

Reuben Reid had the first sight of goal when he got in behind Craig but pulled a bouncing shot inches wide and strike partner Hayter missed the target from 20 yards after a nice turn.

Scott Barron shot wide for Brentford but all the early action was at the other end – Simon Moore made a fine save, only to see the offside flag up, and then denied Keanu Marsh-Brown after the Yeovil wide man skipped in to the box.

It took Brentford quarter of an hour to find their feet and when they did, they tested Stech in the Yeovil goal.

The stopper made a fine full length save to keep out an Adam Forshaw shot and the denied Farid El Alagui after earlier shots had been blocked.

The game began to open up, with chances at both ends – Moore held on to a deflected Ed Upson effort while El Alagui nodded a corner wide for The Bees.

Brentford were the architects of their own downfall when they fell behind midway through the first half – Craig played a ball across defence that was too heavy for Leon Legge, Sam Foley got to it and swung in a cross for Hayter to arrive and slot home.

The Bees responded well to going behind and had the better of things for the second half of the first period, without really opening Yeovil up.

Donaldson curled a shot wide of the far post and then missed the target with another effort while Stech saved from the irrepressible Forshaw.

Stech punched out a Sam Saunders free kick before Donaldson shot narrowly wide after good interplay on the edge of the penalty area.

A Reid header over was all Yeovil managed between their goal and half time and the pattern continued after the break.

Barron volleyed over and Stech saved from El Alagui before a Legge shot from a half cleared free kick bounced wide off Donaldson when it may have been heading in to the corner of the net.

El Alagui had a shot blocked, with Toumani Diagouraga unable to pick up the loose ball, but the goal Brentford were threatening came ten minutes after half time.

Diagouraga drove forward from midfield and found Donaldson, the striker cut inside and curled a shot from the edge of the penalty area past the dive of Stech and in off the far post.

Saunders shot wide for Brentford but Yeovil soon found the ambition they lost after scoring the opener and it was an entertaining final half hour.

Upson blasted a free kick miles over but then forced Moore in to a low save with a curling shot.

Reid saw a volley deflect wide and Moore saved a low Marsh-Brown effort.

Brentford had chances too – a Forshaw shot deflected wide and Legge headed over when well placed.

The Bees were handed a chance to regain the lead when Byron Webster inexplicably handled a long ball forward and referee Carl Berry had no alternative but to take the advice of his assistant and point to the spot.

Hayes stepped up, seconds after coming on as a substitute, and with his first touch placed the penalty low to Stech’s left only to see the goalkeeper go full stretch to keep it out.

El Alagui headed wide for Brentford but Yeovil visibly grew after the Stech save and made Brentford pay.

Moore made a fine save to keep out Upson but could do nothing when Hayter picked up a loose ball and lashed in from 18 yards with his left foot.

Forshaw had a shot blocked and Craig forced Stech in to a save with a header from a corner but Yeovil sealed the win with six minutes left.

Substitute Lewis Young got in behind The Bees on the Yeovil right and squared the ball when faced with only Moore to beat, Craig tried to clear the danger but could only turn the ball in to his own net at full stretch.

El Alagui missed the target with a header while at the other end Moore saved from Gozie Ugwu as Brentford chased the game and left themselves open.

Hayes had a shot blocked and Forshaw missed the target from distance but Yeovil had The Bees at arms’ length in the final moments and saw the game out.

Brentford: Moore; Logan, Legge, Craig, Barron; Forshaw, Douglas, Diagouraga (sub Forrester 68 mins); Saunders (sub Hayes 68 mins); Donaldson, El Alagui

Subs (not used): Lee, Fredericks, O’Connor, Redwood, Dallas

Yeovil Town: Stech; Ayling, Hinds, Webster, McAllister; Marsh-Brown (sub Young 68 mins), Blizzard, Upson, Foley (sub Ralph 68 mins); Hayter, Reid (sub Ugwu 78 mins)

Subs (not used): Stewart, Haynes-Brown

Bookings: Hinds (49 mins), Webster (53 mins), Ayling (75 mins)

Attendance: 5,269 (218 away fans)

Advertisement block