Skip to main content Skip to site footer

Kick off 15:00 (UK)

30 January 2021 Venue Brentford Community Stadium Attendance

Kick off 15:00 (UK)

Buy a pass:

Listen live now

Watch live now

Listen or watch live now

Recent results


English Football League - Championship

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Live commentary of this match has not yet started.

toggle inactive

key moments

Updated at

There are currently no key moments to display.

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Match Previews

Match Preview: Brentford vs Wycombe Wanderers

All the info ahead of this afternoon's game

30 January 2021

This afternoon sees a repeat of the very first competitive game at our new home as Wycombe Wanderers make the short trip to West London. On that day in September at the Brentford Community Stadium it was Carabao Cup progress at stake while today Sky Bet Championship points are up for grabs. Below you will find all the info ahead of the big match.



This is the third meeting between these sides this season with the first two both finishing all square after 90 minutes. In September it was a 1-1 draw in normal time followed up by a penalty shootout win for The Bees while November's league clash at Adams Park ended goalless. 

The Chairboys haven't played a league game in four weeks due to a Covid-19 shutdown and FA Cup progress which means they now find themselves ten points from safety, albeit with two games in hand. Having beaten Preston North End 4-1 in Round Three of the FA Cup at the start of the month they lost by the same scoreline on Monday night to Tottenham Hotspur. 

November's Championship draw between us came in the middle of Wycombe's purple patch before Christmas. It was one of ten points they picked up in seven games after taking no points from their opening seven. 

Since that run came to an end in early December, they have taken five points from their last nine games, their sole win coming at home to Cardiff City on 29 December. 

Goalscoring has been an issue for Wycombe this campaign. They've failed to score in 10 of their 23 games, finding the net more than once on just three occasions. While they've also kept a league low three clean sheets, only Blackburn Rovers and Middlesbrough have put more than two past them in a league game. 

Leicester City forward Admiral Muskwe joined on loan earlier this month and, alongside summer arrival Uche Ikpeazu (pictured scoring above), impressed in their two FA Cup ties this month.


Charlie Goode will be absent due to illness joining Christian Norgaard, Pontus Jansson (both ankle), Emiliano Marcondes (back), and Shandon Baptiste (knee) on the absentee list. 

Joe Jacobson has undergone assessments on the knock that forced him off against Tottenham but boss Gareth Ainsworth hopes to have him and Ryan Tafazolli both fit and ready to feature in defence, while Anthony Stewart made his comeback from injury in a midweek win over Brentford B. Daryl Horgan and Dominic Gape were also both absent against Spurs but could be in contention.



Following a distinguished playing career at all four levels of English football with Preston, Wimbledon and QPR, Ainsworth began his coaching career with Wycombe in 2011, having earned legendary status in his final years as a player. The former QPR caretaker boss was handed the reins at Adams Park the following September and steered the club away from relegation before hanging up his boots after his 600th career appearance against Port Vale.

Despite financial restraints, Ainsworth successfully kept Wanderers in the EFL the following season before guiding The Chairboys to the Sky Bet League Two Play-Off final 12 months later. After 13th and 9th placed finishes, the 47-year-old clinched his first promotion as a manager in April 2018, following it up last term at Wembley to take Wycombe into the Championship for the first time in their history. 


⚖ David Webb will be the man in charge this afternoon

🆚 Sky Sports James Kilpatrick previews The Chairboys



Today's game is live on iFollow. For just £10 (£7 for international fans) you can keep up with all the action live from TW8.


Season Ticket and Premium Seat Holders who froze their tickets have had their iFollow account upgraded to VIP for this fixture. This means you simply have to log-in to watch the game. To check you have been upgraded to VIP, login and head to ‘My iFollow Account’, select ‘Purchased Packages’, if you have been upgraded you will see a Brentford Season Ticket with an active status.

If you are having any issues with your VIP, get in touch with

Advertisement block

Match Reports

Brentford 7 Wycombe Wanderers 2

Second half blast gives Brentford home win

30 January 2021

Brentford hit five second half goals as they beat Wycombe Wanderers 7-2 on a cold, wet West London afternoon. The Bees took the lead twice in the first half but were pegged back and went in level at the break. Brentford got ahead again early in the second period and this time there was no looking back. Three quickly became four and a triple striker in the last ten minutes sealed a memorable win.

Ivan Toney claimed three of Brentford’s seven, albeit one of those was awarded to Tariqe Fosu and may need to go for further review. Ethan Pinnock got Brentford’s first and Fosu got the vital third just after the interval, which may turn out to be his second. Sergi Canós scored the fifth and Josh Dasilva sealed the win with the seventh late on.

It was a game that was even for much of the first half and Wycombe probably deserved to be level at the break. But once The Bees got a two-goal cushion, the game was just about won. The late goals came with Wycombe chasing the match in kamikaze fashion and enabled Brentford to put a gloss on the score line.

Brentford went on the front foot from the first whistle and pushed Wycombe back. The Bees had extra men in midfield and Dasilva linked with Mathias Jensen and Saman Ghoddos to drive Brentford forward. The Bees created a series of openings in the opening ten minutes and it was no surprise when they scored an early goal.

The goal came from a corner on the right. Jensen delivered it in to the middle and Pinnock got ahead of Darius Charles to divert it past Ryan Allsop and in to the net. It was a goal that had been coming as Allsop had already been busy. It was also Pinnock’s second of the season, both coming at our new stadium against Wycombe after he scored in a Carabao Cup tie between the sides in September.

Allsop made a pair of fine saves inside the first five minutes. Dasilva released Toney after a quick free kick and he drilled the ball across, it hit Jack Grimmer and looked set for the net but Allsop saved. Ghoddos then turned it towards goal and Allsop saved again before Canós headed the bouncing ball over the crossbar.

Ghoddos was unable to get a shot away after Rico Henry had delivered a cross from the left and Dasilva then put Toney away in the inside right channel for a shot that Allsop tipped around the post. Jensen delivered the resulting corner for Pinnock to score and Brentford had the goal they deserved. But The Bees failed to build on it and Wycombe hit back immediately.

The visitors had been passive in the opening exchanges but immediately went on the attack after falling behind. They got their midfield tighter together, played the ball in to Uche Ikpeazu and had increased energy. And they scored within five minutes. Ikpeazu picked up a loose ball after a messy exchange on the edge of the penalty area, he weaved his way in to space and bent a shot out of the reach of David Raya to his left and in to the net.

Wycombe had their tails up and continued to press forward. The physical presence and pace of Ikpeazu was causing Brentford difficulties and Wycombe were able to get him a lot of the ball. Ikpeazu had a shot blocked and moments later he exchanged passes twice with Dennis Adeniran before getting off a shot that Raya got a hand to and managed to turn on to the far post.

Brentford tried to regain some control, but the game was end-to-end for long periods of the first half. Henrik Dalsgaard delivered a cross that Toney headed over the bar after a good run by Dasilva. Allsop saved from Canós before Jensen found Dasilva, who had created the chance seconds earlier, and his shot was again kept out by the overworked Wycombe goalkeeper.

A long free kick caused Brentford problems as it bounced awkwardly, and a David Wheeler header was pushed away by Raya. A cross from Jason McCarthy from the left then bounced between Raya and Ikpeazu as they challenged, it beat them both and looped just past the far post. As the game reached the half hour it was an entertaining, helter-skelter contest that the visitors may have slightly the upper hand in. And there was no let up as half time approached.

Canós got away on the right and cut the ball back for Ghoddos to set up Dasilva, the shot took a deflection and beat Allsop but hit the post. The Bees were, however, back in front moments later. A throw in was taken quickly and Canós found space, he delivered a superb cross the far post when Toney arrived to fire in a shot. Allsop got hands to it but could not stop it bouncing towards goal and it went in. The ball may have crossed the line but Fosu arrived to make sure, poking the ball in to the net. The goal was officially given to Fosu, subject to further review, and Brentford were back in front.

But that lead lasted a matter of seconds. The visitors won a free kick on the right that McCarthy delivered, Charles headed it across and Admiral Muskwe headed in from close range. Wycombe worked it brilliantly to deservedly level for the second time and they probably went in at half time with the initiative.

But it was Brentford that started the second half quickly and within 11 minutes they had a two-goal lead for the first time. Toney had a shot blocked seconds after the re-start and then another after Jensen had dribbled through. Moments later, Toney had had set up Brentford’s third goal.

It came at the end the end of a spell of pressure. Fosu started it off with a run down the right and superb cross that was met first time by Canós. The shot was low and hard but Allsop kept it out. The ball broke back to Canós, he weaved inside and le fly with a shot, the ball looped up, Curtis Thompson made a mess of an attempt to clear and Toney challenged with Adeniran, picking up the loose ball as the Wycombe man fell. Toney fed the ball to Fosu and he drilled a shot across Allsop and in to the corner. It may have taken a deflection but once again Fosu was credited with the goal and Brentford were back in front.

And this time The Bees built on it. Wycombe failed to clear a corner and Fred Onyedinma dithered in the penalty area as he weighed up his options. Canós came in to try and win the ball back and referee David Webb decided Onyedinma’s clearance had turned in to a foul on Canós, awarding Brentford a penalty. Toney steered it to the left of Allsop as the goalkeeper dived right and The Bees had breathing space.

Raya had been forced to save a header from Ikpeazu between the goals and Wycombe pushed forward again after Brentford’s fourth. Wheeler headed a free kick down that Muskwe volleyed over and Ikpeazu fired over when he controlled a long ball in to the penalty area. Fosu had a shot blocked at the other end after good work by Ghoddos and Canós and there were signs that Brentford were starting to find spaces as Wycombe pushed on.

And Brentford exploited the space soon after. Ghoddos released Dasilva on the right side and he breezed his way past McCarthy. Dasilva looked up and cut the ball back to Canós who curled a shot across Allsop, out of his reach and in to the net.

That just about sealed the game and Brentford went looking for more goals. The sixth was expertly taken by Toney as he claimed, perhaps in vain, his hat-trick. Substitute Jan Žambůrek played a ball in to space and Toney beat the offside trap, he approached Allsop, rounded the goalkeeper and steered a shot in to the unguarded net.

Alex Samuel had a shot blocked for Wycombe but their desire to attack was leaving gaps. Marcus Forss burst through challenges in midfield and fed the ball wide to Dasilva, he attacked the penalty area and bent a shot with his left foot out of the reach of Allsop and in to the far corner to make it seven. And it could have been eight when Toney got away on the left and fed a ball through to Mads Roerslev, up in support. The first time shot beat Allsop but flashed wide of the post.

There was still time for Wycombe substitute Gareth McCleary to shoot wide for the visitors but that would have been scant consolation for them. Brentford had weathered a first half storm and ruthlessly exploited the spaces left in the second period. The final 7-2 score may have been a little flattering but there was no doubt The Bees did enough to take a fifth win in six games.

Brentford: Raya; Dalsgaard, Pinnock, Sørensen, Henry (sub Roerslev 84 mins); Dasilva, Jensen (sub Janelt 61 mins), Ghoddos (sub Žambůrek 82 mins) Fosu (sub Forss 82 mins), Toney, Canós

Subs (not used): Daniels, Stevens Pressley

Wycombe Wanderers: Allsop; Grimmer, Knight, Charles, McCarthy; Wheeler (sub McCleary 76 mins), Thompson (sub Bloomfield 84 mins), Adeniran; Onyedinma (sub Mehmeti 87 mins); Ikpeazu (sub Samuel 84 mins), Muskwe (sub Akinfenwa 76 mins)

Subs (not used): Stockdale, Stewart, Kashket

Bookings: Wheeler (45 mins)

Advertisement block

Advertisement block