Skip to main content Skip to site footer

Kick off 11:00 (UK)

Buy tickets
11 September 2017 Venue Attendance

Kick off 11:00 (UK)

2 - 1
Legia Warsaw XI
Buy a pass:

Listen live now

Watch live now

Listen or watch live now

Lineup will be displayed here shortly before the game

Advertisement block

Match Reports

Match Report: Legia Warsaw 1 Brentford B 2

Bees come from behind to win ninth in ten

11 September 2017

Brentford B won 2-1 against a Legia Warsaw XI in a friendly in Germany on Monday afternoon. Joe Hardy and Marcus Forss scored the goals for Kevin O'Connor's side after the opposition had taken an early lead.

Legia had their first chance in the opening four minutes. A misplaced pass by Mads Bech Sorensen allowed the Polish team to break. Zain Westbrooke got himself back into position to clear the ball as it came across the box.

Warsaw pressed their advantage in the early stages and were a goal ahead with their next attack. A quick free-kick near the halfway line meant they had an extra man on the right wing. He cut inside and fired the ball low into the corner of the net.

Within a matter of seconds, David Titov had almost brought the scores level at the other end. Getting on the end of a one-two with Bradley Clayton, he took a touch before shooting the ball at the top corner. It crashed against the right post and swerved away.

Ten minutes later, Ali Coote could've got on the scoresheet. Cutting in from the left, the Scot drilled the ball at goal but the goalkeeper was equal to the effort.

After half an hour, Brentford had two good chances to get into the game and both came from similar openings. The first, a ball over the top from Theo Archibald that Herson Alves nodded wide. Then Clayton turned provider as his cross was nodded down by Coote but then saved by the goalkeeper.

The first half ended with Warsaw a goal up, but somehow Brentford B hadn't found the net.

Ten minutes into the second half, Legia had another good chance to double their lead. A low shot came in from the edge of the box but Ellery Balcombe threw himself across his line to cling on to the ball.

Just before the hour, Brentford equalised. Hardy showed a brilliant bit of individual skill to control the ball in the box and then battle his way past two defenders. He then looked up and struck the ball into the top left corner of the goal, away from the keeper, levelling the scores.

The later stages of the game became very physical, Brentford and Warsaw both picking up yellow cards. In the final ten minutes, the game came to life for The Bees. Subs Raphael Assibey-Mensah and Forss were able to press their opponents with fresh legs and force chance after chance in search of the winner.

Sorensen went close in the 83rd minute, heading a corner kick narrowly wide of the left post. Three minutes later, Brentford won it.

Assibey-Mensah won the ball back in midfield, then played it quickly to Alves. He then forwarded it to Forss, who broke clear of the defence and raced towards goal. One-on-one with the goalkeeper, he tucked his shot low and out of the stopper's reach.

A minute before the end, Brentford had one more chance to make the game safe. Westbrooke hit a free-kick from outside the box that was blocked, Forss' follow up went north of the crossbar.

Brentford B: Balcombe; Titov, Sorensen, Edobor, Talbro; Westbrooke (c), Clayton, Coote (sub Assibey-Mensah 78 mins); Archibald (sub Novak 82 mins), Hardy (sub Forss 80 mins), Alves

Subs (not used): Hill (GK), Kirk

Advertisement block

Advertisement block