Brentford returned to winning ways with a comprehensive 3-0 victory over Burnley at Gtech Community Stadium on Saturday afternoon.

Yoane Wissa poked Brentford ahead during a first half of near total dominance in west London. Burnley offered slightly more after the break but superb late strikes from Bryan Mbeumo and Saman Ghoddos, either side of Connor Roberts' dismissal, secured the victory.

Mbeumo’s goal was a curling effort into the top corner from 20 yards, while Ghoddos sent a half-volley flying past James Trafford in the closing minutes.

Wissa's close-range finish gives Bees deserved lead

Thomas Frank made two changes from the last outing at Old Trafford. Aaron Hickey was suspended while Mads Roerslev dropped to the bench; in their places came in Frank Onyeka and Neal Maupay for his second home debut.

Burnley made three changes with Dara O’Shea and Roberts drafted into the defence in place of Vitinho and Hannes Delcroix. Zeki Amdouni was selected ahead of Josh Brownhill to play as the most advanced of their midfield three.

Brentford were at it from the off. The new-look front three of Maupay, Mbeumo and Wissa put Burnley’s defence under constant pressure at the Gtech.

Maupay pulled an early shot wide and Mbeumo got the ball stuck under his feet as he went to convert Mathias Jensen’s ball over the top before the Bees thought they had taken the lead.

It seemed like a dream second home debut for Maupay, as he nodded home Nathan Collins’ knock-down, but the assistant’s flag went up for an offside against Kristoffer Ajer from the initial free-kick.

At the other end, Collins made an important challenge on Lyle Foster in the area. Mike Tresor slammed the rebound wide, but that was a rare moment of alarm.

Onyeka headed tamely into James Trafford’s arms and Kristoffer Ajer’s cutback beat everyone in the middle, before Charlie Taylor was perfectly placed to clear off the line as Christian Nørgaard tried to force home Wissa’s flick-on.

Trafford made a flying save to turn away Mbeumo’s header but there was nothing he could do as Brentford’s pressure told just before the half-hour.

All of the front three were involved with Maupay freeing Mbeumo down the right channel, and Wissa was then perfectly placed at the back post to tap home the Cameroon international’s low cross.

Maupay almost made it two immediately after the restart, but Trafford got enough on his low shot to slow it down and allow O’Shea to recover and clear off the line.

Nørgaard shot over from close range before Trafford was called into a succession of crucial saves before half-time.

The Burnley stopper denied Mbeumo before reacting brilliantly to paw away Nørgaard’s low shot which Wissa got a slight touch on. He also got a key touch to turn Maupay’s rising effort over the bar.

For all Burnley's lack of attacking threat, Mark Flekken was called into action on the stroke of half-time, going full stretch to beat away Amdouni’s curling effort.

Mbeumo and Ghoddos goals secure victory

Burnley began the second half much with more intent and put the Brentford goal under sustained pressure.

Collins headed Luca Koleosho’s well-stuck effort over the bar and Amdouni fired over after collecting a loose ball inside the area.

However, just as it looked like it might be a long final 30 minutes for the Bees, Mbeumo struck.

A fantastic move down the right saw Ajer combine with Maupay. The right-back carried on his run inside and laid it off to Mbeumo, who thundered a shot into the top corner.

Burnley had a huge chance to pull one back with 15 minutes to go, but Koleosho fluffed his lines with an open goal in front of him following a lightning break.

Things went from bad to worse for the Clarets three minutes later when Wissa got the wrong side of the already booked Roberts who hauled him down. Referee Josh Smith had no hesitation in bringing out a second yellow card for the Welsh full-back.

That ended the game as the contest but there was still one more moment of Brentford magic to come. A headed clearance dropped towards Ghoddos 25 yards out. The attacker took one touch to control the ball before arrowing a fierce half-volley past Trafford and into the corner.

It was a fitting way to wrap up an impressive first home win of the campaign.

Frank: The first half was close to perfect

Thomas Frank labelled Saturday’s 3-0 triumph over Burnley as ‘a well-deserved win’ - and believes that the opening period was his side’s ‘best half of the season’.

“It was a good performance again,” said Frank. “Actually, it was a top, top performance first half. That was us, especially at home.

“The energy, top intensity, winning the ball back, one attack after another, going behind them, crosses – we were really, really on it.

“It’s rare that I say we should have been 3-0 up at half-time, but we should have. It was our best half of the season.”

Ghoddos talks through fantastic finish

After the victory, Saman Ghoddos talked through his spectacular goal, as well as the celebration, which he wanted to dedicate to the supporters in the west stand.

“Christian [Nørgaard] was doing some oversteps, he was tricking everyone, he then made a good cross, I read it well, it was kind of a good touch, and, from that point, I felt like it could be a good shot," said Ghoddos.

“Thankfully, it was! I was just waiting for it to bounce perfectly so I could hit it.” 

He added: “That corner is always the one where I'm warming up and they always applaud me when I go over there, so I just wanted to give something back. To celebrate with them at that corner was my plan.”