The young Bees headed away from home looking to build on their win over Eastleigh last time out as they came up against a Chelsea side with significantly more experience than Brentford’s group.

The only goal of the game came courtesy of a shot from distance which Matt Cox was unable to push away from danger. Brentford B more than held their own against an experienced Chelsea side and they could count themselves unfortunate not to have at least drawn the game having had a Paris Maghoma penalty saved as well as numerous chances particularly in the second half.

The opening stages of the match saw the B Team comfortable in possession but Chelsea threatened on five minutes when a dangerous cross to the far post saw Fin Stevens make a brilliant defensive challenge to clear away from danger as the opponents rushed towards goal. On 10 minutes the B Team coaching staff were left surprised not to have been awarded a free-kick on the edge of the box as Lewis Gordon broke through before being brought down by the Chelsea goalkeeper, but the referee waved away any claims of wrong doing.

Both sides would then trade shots from distance going towards the half hour mark and on 37 minutes The Blues did take their lead in what was perhaps their best spell of the match. A low effort from distance saw Matt Cox manage to get a hand to the ball but he was unable to push it away from danger as the hosts went 1-0 up. It was almost two a few moments later when a header crashed off of the crossbar following a Chelsea corner as the sides went into half-time narrowly separated.

Chelsea started the second period with two shots which substitute Nathan Shepperd was able to palm away and that preceded some good play from Brentford as they began to see more of the ball and look dangerous going forwards. The impressive Paris Maghoma began to dictate things and he created a good moment when he set Gordon away down the left but his low cross just evaded Nathan Young-Coombes in the Chelsea box.

Luka Racic then headed against the post following a Brentford set piece, and following that, Young-Coombes managed to latch onto a good ball through from Myles Peart-Harris, but credit to the keeper who was quickly off of his line to deny the young forward against his former club.

One of the best chances to get level came on 70 minutes when new boy Val Adedokun played a brilliant cross field pass into the path of Stevens on the right-hand side. The full back chipped the on rushing goalkeeper and played the ball inside as the Chelsea defenders flooded back to defend their goal line. The ball eventually found its way to Dom Jefferies but he miscued from distance.

A golden moment to go level then came just a few minutes later when Brentford B were awarded a penalty when Young-Coombes was fouled in the area. Maghoma stepped up but the Chelsea shot stopper kept out the attempt as he dived to his right to push the ball away with a strong hand.

There were late attempts for Lachlan Brook and once again from Maghoma but their efforts from distance were just the wrong side of the top corner as the young Bees really pushed to go level. The final five minutes were played with both sides reduced to 10 men following a challenge on Fin Stevens which saw the referee send off the Chelsea player as well as the Brentford B man for the subsequent coming together between the two players after Stevens had been victim to a nasty challenge from behind.

Brentford B: Cox (Shepperd, 45), Oyegoke, Russell (Jones, 60), Racic (Adedokun, 69), Stevens, Gordon, Maghoma, Oksanen (Trevitt, 69), Peart-Harris (Jefferies, 69), Žambůrek (Brook, 60), Young-Coombes (Hercules, 90)