A Nathan Young-Coombes penalty cancelled out an early Charlie Kirk strike in a match where Brentford got better and better as the minutes wore on.

The young Bees came up against an Athletic side who included first team players such as Stephen Henderson, Kirk and Diallang Jaiyesimi. Neil MacFarlane was able to call upon a few young First Team players himself with the likes of Mads Bidstrup and Myles Peart-Harris included alongside Jan Žambůrek and Luka Racic.

It was the hosts who started brightly as Jacob Roddy looked sharp down the left and delivered a dangerous cross which was well cleared, and that preceded a good save from Matt Cox to deny Albie Morgan’s powerful drive from just outside the box.

The opening goal for the hosts came on nine minutes when they countered down the left before Kirk latched onto a ball through before converting calmly to make it 1-0.

Cox was then called upon once again a few minutes later as he denied George Dobson’s goal bound effort with a stunning save as the hosts aimed to double their early advantage.

On 15 minutes Brentford B were given a fantastic opportunity to go level as Young-Coombes was tripped in the penalty box before he could turn and shoot. The striker stepped up to net his fourth of the season as he converted low into the bottom right-hand corner.

In an entertaining first period Paris Maghoma then almost grabbed another goal for the young Bees just before the 20-minute mark when Lewis Gordon pulled the ball back but the midfielder’s effort was well claimed by the Charlton keeper.

A couple more chances fell for the hosts as Morgan saw his effort tipped around the post by Cox and Roddy shot just wide of goal, but the last chance of the half fell for Brentford as Young-Coombes saw his effort blocked by a defender before Žambůrek’s follow-up attempt was well saved.

A left footed effort from Joe Adams from distance was the first sighter for the young Bees in the second period as they began to really get into their stride and see more of the ball in very windy conditions.

As the game crept towards the hour mark Charlton were inches from going back in front when Mason Burstow headed against the cross bar. The ball then bounced down on the line before substitute Ben Winterbottom could react and he then managed to pounce on it and keep it out of the net.

Both Lachlan Brook and Mads Bidstrup had efforts from distance go just over as the side looked to go ahead, particularly going into the final 15 minutes. Lewis Gordon was in the thick of the action as he continued to surge down the left. A good moment came when he beat his man on the outside before firing a powerful effort which was well saved. The final few minutes saw Young-Coombes get more chances to get on the scoresheet, the first when Daniel Oyegoke drove down the right before cutting the ball back but the Brentford striker shot just over the bar.

The Bees then almost won it just a minute or so before the final whistle when Peart-Harris did fantastically on the left to pull the ball back for Young-Coombes but his low effort crashed against the post as the match ended in a draw.

Charlton Athletic: Henderson, Trialist, Roddy, Dobson, Bakrin, Elerewe, Jaiyesimi, Dempsey, Ghandour, Morgan, Kirk

Subs: Vennings, Harness, Clayden, Henry, Williams, Chin, Appiah, Viggars, Burstow

Brentford B: Cox (Winterbottom, 62) Hockenhull, Racic (Oyegoke, 62) Jones, Adams, Bidstrup (Jefferies, 82) Maghoma, Gordon, Peart Harris, Žambůrek (Brook, 62), Young-Coombes

Subs not used: Trevitt, Hercules, Crama, Trialist, Adedokun