Sunday 23rd May saw the First Team carry on their winning ways at their Bedfont home by overcoming a strong Clapham United team in the Capital Women’s Cup. Perhaps inspired by the victory at The Brentford Community Stadium the previous day, and following on from their excellent second place finish in the league, Karleigh Osborne’s team were full of confidence.

The squad were missing 11-goal Rebekah Wiltshire through injury, and with a couple more absentees where only able to field three substitutes. Clapham have had a strong season under a new coach, finishing second in their league after winning promotion last season.

This seemed to give Brentford the motivation and determination to prove their credentials as they came out of the blocks firing on all cylinders, and were 1-0 up within the first five minutes as a short pass from Jodie Reid on the edge of the box saw Sophie Troth side step the Clapham defenders and beat the keeper with a curling shot into the top corner.

The visitors were rattled and before long Kaitlyn Spencer-Dempsey made it 2-0 getting a great header on the end of a pin-point cross from Chloe Webb. Clapham didn’t even have time to re-group before another perfect cross from wide right, this time sent in by Nicole Goolab, was once again met by Spencer-Dempsey with another powerful header to make it 3-0.

A perfect start and 3 goals in the first 20 minutes. The visitors were finally stung into action and started to make their presence felt, creating their own chances, and themselves scored a header from a corner before making it 3-2 with an attack down the left flank and a low cross slotted in. Brentford were still causing problems with some great passing and attacking moves but couldn’t convert a number of good chances. A thrilling first 45 minutes finished with the home side leading 3-2.

The coach’s half time team talk must surely have been about concentrating and carrying on the momentum, and so it continued into the second half. Plenty of attacking play and determined defending from both sides, although Clapham were mainly restricted to long range shots, one bouncing back off the crossbar. 20 minutes in Jodie Reid’s hard work paid off as she ran onto the end of a perfectly weighted pass, and hit a fierce strike which the keeper couldn’t keep hold of to make it 4-2. The chances kept coming for both sides but the keepers were mainly kept busy with goal kicks and passing, rather than shots on goal. At the final whistle, and with a final score of 4-2, it’s Brentford who progressed through to the next round.

This was a very competitive contest with the Bees coming out worthy winners, but Clapham are a good side and played their part in this entertaining match. A great team performance by the Bees, but particularly mention to the midfield duo of Captain Mollie Holmes and Sophie Troth who dictated the game for large parts, Spencer-Dempsey for two fine headed goals bringing her season total to 18, and Regan Graver who was outstanding at the back. All backed up by fine individual and complete team performances.

With the league season over, the next match will be the Quarter-Final at Bedfont Sports, which is open to fans.

Bees: Boycott; Goolab, Graver, Langston-Lloyd, Webb; Holmes, Troth; Peters, Reid, Stickley; Spencer-Dempsey

Subs: Dalton, Goodwin, Short