Mads Bidstrup’s first goal for the Club was the difference as he hit a thunderous effort on the hour mark to secure the win.

Neil MacFarlane was able to call upon Kane O’Connor for the first time following his injury layoff as he lined up next to Luka Racic as part of a back three with Fin Stevens.

It was a game which the young Bees dominated for the majority of the 90 minutes as they had a lot of the possession against a Chelmsford side which featured some Trialists and Academy players who looked to soak up the pressure and counterattack.

It was City who had a couple of early sighters, though, when they struck from distance. The first saw Jared Thompson save well to his left while the second effort from the edge of the box was wayward.

The Bees managed to get into their rhythm, though, and a good opening came about when tenacious running from Joe Adams on the right-hand side saw him put in a delightful ball into the box, and with Lachlan Brook and Alex Gilbert rushing towards it, neither were able to connect.

On 20 minutes Brook had his powerful effort from the edge of the box well blocked before a Brentford free-kick caused havoc in the City area, and the ball was punched into the path of Bidstrup, who saw his low drive cleared away.

Chelmsford bodies were then in the way of a Gilbert effort and they once again denied Brook as Brentford B dominated the possession, but were unable to create that real clear cut moment to test the goalkeeper enough going into the break.

It took them just one minute in the second half to make the keeper work, though, as good play saw the ball switch from left to right into the path of Brook. The Australian took it on his weaker right foot, and despite connecting well first time, the keeper stood tall and managed to block the attempt from around eight yards out.

The young Bees continued to push, and the team talk from Neil MacFarlane at half-time seemed to work as that bit of quality and patience began to shine through. Gilbert’s stinging free-kick edged just over the crossbar before the opener arrived on the hour mark.

Fresh from getting minutes for Thomas Frank’s First Team on Tuesday, Bidstrup continued to take the initiative and got forward well before Brook found him with a clever ball through the middle. Still with work to do on the edge of the box, the young Dane worked himself some space before rocketing an effort high into the net as the side took a deserved lead.

The game continued in the same fashion with only a couple of corners for City causing the Brentford back line to act from a defensive perspective. Ben Hockenhull, who also made his return from injury, looked assured in the second period as a substitute with a number of attacks stemming from his ability to step forward and play incisive passes, particularly to the marauding Lewis Gordon down the left.

Brook almost turned provider once again on 80 minutes when his teasing cross just evaded the head of one of the Trialists, whilst Ryan Trevitt’s left footed attempt just a few minutes from time was sent over.

Brentford B: Thompson, Stevens, Gordon, O’Connor (Robb, 61), Racic (Trialist, 61), Bidstrup (Trialist, 61), Adams, Trevitt, Gilbert (Trialist, 77), Brook, Trialist (Hockenhull, 45)Subs not used: Trialist, Carre, Hercules