Brentford drew with Sky Bet League One Portsmouth in a behind closed doors friendly at Griffin Park today. The Bees fell behind to their visitors in the first half but levelled it up after the break as Halil Dervişoğlu scored from the penalty spot. Portsmouth, preparing for the League One Play-Offs, used 22 players in the contest and ended the game well but could not find the winning goal.

Brentford included Emiliano Marcondes, Shandon Baptiste and Joel Valencia, who were used as substitutes in the Sky Bet Championship win at Fulham yesterday. The rest of the squad was from players who did not get on the pitch in the West London derby with Kamohelo Mokotjo and Julian Jeanvier providing an experienced spine. The Bees probably had the better of the game overall, especially after falling behind but could only find the net from the spot after Mads Roerslev was fouled.

The visitors went ahead 15 minutes in when Marcus Harness headed in a cross and started the game well. Another header flew just over the bar for Portsmouth and a long-range shot failed to trouble Nathan Sheppard later in the half. But Brentford were proving to be incisive in attacking areas and created openings, especially when Dominic Thompson, Baptiste, Marcondes and Valencia linked in the inside left channel.

Baptiste saw a shot, which lacked power as he slipped when making contact, saved and also shot wide after a weaving run from deep. Marcondes hit the wall with a free kick before Valencia had a shot blocked and Jan Žambůrek had an effort saved. Harness had a shot deflect wide at the other end, but Brentford should have been level before half time.

There was a great chance when Baptiste won the ball back and weaved in to the box but his cut back was just in front of Žambůrek and he poked wide on the stretch. Valencia saw a shot saved after a clever turn and in the dying stages of the first half, some fine defending kept The Bees out. From the second phase of a corner, Valencia found space and cut the ball back but the shot from Dervişoğlu was blocked inside the six-yard box.

The visitors had a couple of chances early in the second half, but Brentford were level five minutes in. Space was created for Marcondes, but the final ball went astray inside the ball. The ball was, however, recycled, and Roerslev was tripped. Dervişoğlu took responsibility and slotted the penalty home.

And that was just about the end of the action. Portsmouth changed their entire XI around the hour mark and The Bees also made changes as the match wore on. They also ended with Portsmouth goalkeeper Duncan Turnbull between the sticks as Nathan Sheppard picked up an injury. There were no really good late chances as the game was played at an increasingly slow pace and it finished 1-1.

Brentford: Sheppard (sub Duncan Turnbull 67 mins); Roerslev, Jeanvier, Racic, Thompson; Marcondes (sub Yearwood 62 mins), Mokotjo (sub Sørensen 73 mins), Baptiste (sub Hammar 73 mins); Žambůrek, Dervişoğlu, Valencia